Learner lorry drivers using newly resurfaced roads

Not a representative of Amey at all. Just calling out somebodies hyperbole.

Your evidence is an article from the Star about one section of road breaking up......case closed, eh.

You sound rather protective?!

My comment was half in jest, aimed at the rank incompetence of Amey, not a claim to have solid evidence. That you got so defensive of it is rather odd really, and suggests that perhaps you have an interest in it.

I'm not sure what more 'evidence' you want, other than news articles reporting that resurfaced roads are dropping to bits! There's a thread on here too. What evidence would satisfy you, other than numerous reports and a news article saying it s happening?

I love it when people say 'case closed' at the end of a post. Nothing suggests arrogance more.

Has anyone else noticed that newly resurfaced roads are now being used by heavy goods lorries driving schools for training learner drivers, no doubt all the pot holes will return before too long, and highly likely a few car wing mirrors will not be where they should be. Where did they take learner HGV before ???

If someone is stupid enough to not fold their mirrors in when parking on the road ive no sympathy with them if they have them knocked off .

If someone is stupid enough to not fold their mirrors in when parking on the road ive no sympathy with them if they have them knocked off .

It may have escaped your blinkered view on cars,,,, but some do NOT have movable wing mirrors. Why are you so nasty.????

I learn't to drive a HGV on the road network when I did my test back in 2006. They don't have special roads for HGV learner drivers to learn on you know! :hihi:

When I was learning to drive hgv we went anywhere that was legal ,most wagons nowadays are on air suspension which is better on the roads anyway and most hgv driving schools only train using empty vehicles

I appreciate that lorries may go wherever they want to ,. my contention is ,,that they fill the whole road, meeting one "Face to Face" on a road with parked cars on both sides, leaves the car driver with no alternative but to reverse ,as it is highly unlikely a lorry learner has neither the ability.. or the space.,and the tutors should take this into account .

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:22 ----------

I learn't to drive a HGV on the road network when I did my test back in 2006. They don't have special roads for HGV learner drivers to learn on you know! :hihi:

I vaguely remember that Norton airfield was used for all types of learner drivers, considerably safer and room enough for them all to get road wise.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:29 ----------

I don't understand why are they specifically choosing the new roads?

To stop their lorries getting damaged, repairs to the underneath bits are,, i imagine ,, very expensive,, so,, using newly tarmacked roads is self preservation ,or ,should I say ,lorry preservation...

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:32 ----------

If the lorries are legal and pay all the relevant taxes, why shouldn't they use the new roads?

If you live in E Lancs, why are you poking your nose into Yorkshire roads ????

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:56 ----------

YES ,,,I did know that.,but thank you for reminding me,, since 2006, lorries are now the menaces that are using country lanes throughout Derbyshire and Yorkshire, just because their Sat, Navs tell the driver's that they can save a few minutes.,by using them .. Ain't that the truth !!!!!

I appreciate that lorries may go wherever they want to ,. my contention is ,,that they fill the whole road, meeting one "Face to Face" on a road with parked cars on both sides, leaves the car driver with no alternative but to reverse ,as it is highly unlikely a lorry learner has neither the ability.. or the space.,and the tutors should take this into account .

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:22 ----------

I vaguely remember that Norton airfield was used for all types of learner drivers, considerably safer and room enough for them all to get road wise.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:29 ----------

To stop their lorries getting damaged, repairs to the underneath bits are,, i imagine ,, very expensive,, so,, using newly tarmacked roads is self preservation ,or ,should I say ,lorry preservation...

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:32 ----------

If you live in E Lancs, why are you poking your nose into Yorkshire roads ????

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 19:56 ----------

YES ,,,I did know that.,but thank you for reminding me,, since 2006, lorries are now the menaces that are using country lanes throughout Derbyshire and Yorkshire, just because their Sat, Navs tell the driver's that they can save a few minutes.,by using them .. Ain't that the truth !!!!!

If trucks are using country lanes that are signed not to be used by HGV''s then they are breaking the law and can be prosecuted. If trucks are using country lanes that are not signed to resist the entry to HGV''s, what''s the problem.

this is only my experience:

i saw the roads being 'skimmed' - the old tarmac was removed, exposing the cobbles beneath.

i saw new tarmac being applied on top of the cobbles.

this is no way to build a road strong enough to deal with the weight of modern vehicles.

(the cobbles move, the tarmac flexes, it cracks, water and frost do the rest)

I saw the same technique.

I even tweeted some pictures of what appeared to be a very badly scraped (ie not done evenly or thoroughly) road to Amey, who told me it was fine.

We'll see. When the potholes appear I'll tweet those to them, along with a copy of their original reply.

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 13:06 ----------

my contention is ,,that they fill the whole road, meeting one "Face to Face" on a road with parked cars on both sides, leaves the car driver with no alternative but to reverse ,as it is highly unlikely a lorry learner has neither the ability.. or the space.,and the tutors should take this into account .

Was it? Your contention. Because that's the first time you've contended it.

It appeared that you originally contended

Has anyone else noticed that newly resurfaced roads are now being used by heavy goods lorries driving schools for training learner drivers, no doubt all the pot holes will return before too long, and highly likely a few car wing mirrors will not be where they should be.

That it will create potholes and knock wing mirrors off.

So they are meant to resurface ALL roads and pavements.... So how come when I go around Sheffield you can see certain paths resurfaced, miss a bit then resurface further along. Same with some roads.

I take it no one at the council checks on the quality of work done?

They still have until the end of the year to complete. Presumably they are then in breach of contract, but given how well written the contract was regarding trees they can probably do just about whatever they like.

All the roads and pavements in Stocksbridge have been resurfaced in the last few years and all the ones that I use are still in perfect condition exept for the bottom of Cedar Rd where the pavement has been damaged by delivery lorries reversing over it to deliver to the Spa supermarket.

So they are meant to resurface ALL roads and pavements.... So how come when I go around Sheffield you can see certain paths resurfaced, miss a bit then resurface further along. Same with some roads.

I take it no one at the council checks on the quality of work done?

It's called PATCHING ,, a practise long used by Sheffield council,,, Why do a good job, when a bad one won't be noticed !!!!!

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:22 ----------

If trucks are using country lanes that are signed not to be used by HGV''s then they are breaking the law and can be prosecuted. If trucks are using country lanes that are not signed to resist the entry to HGV''s, what''s the problem.

The problem is ,,,,, country roads ,are NOT wide enough for H.G.Vs and were NOT intended for usage by H.G.V's ,they damage the verges . Grass Verges, drive at almost motorway speeds, and give little regard for oncoming traffic.And YES .I do know what I am talking about, as my preference is,,,, to use the B roads ,on long journeys to AVOID lorries. which is now,,, no longer possible. ,or safe. That ,,my friend ,,is the problem.