Clarence Street

CAN ANYONE HELP???

My grandfathers birth certificate shows the address he lived at after he was born was 148 Clarence Street, but I can't for the life of me find it, but I can find the street. Can anyone explain.

Hi Haydn72 - the houses on Clarence Street were demolished in the early 1960s and the street later disappeared - it used to run from Broomhall Street to Ecclesall Road. Here is an early 1900s map of the area - No 148 was in a terrace of houses on the south side of the street, between Moore Street and Clarence Lane. Here is a link to a c. 1960 photo on the picturesheffield.com site showing the junction of Moore Street and Clarence Street.

The 1905 directory shows "John Hoyland, cutler" at 148 Clarence Street. A Mrs White and her family had moved in by 1911, and the 1925 and 1942 directories show her son Frank, described as a steel worker (1925) and scissor maker (1942) there.

Thanks for that. And that's quite interesting, my grandads mother was Susannah Hoyland and her father was John. Maybe my grandads parents were living with my grandads mothers family.

What was a cutler

I lived on Clarence St (133) in the late 50s/early 60s.

A cutler made cutlery.

That's amazing, don't suppose you or your family knew the Smiths or Hoylands

I left Clarence St, under the slum clearance programme, when I was 7 years old.

We lived in a 2 bed terrace but other houses in the yard were 'back to back' and we were in the block between Hodgson St and Moore St. I went to St Silas's school.

I do have a lot of memories about the place and remember a Mrs Smith who had bright (dyed) ginger hair.

Other names I remember - Dewsnap, Beatson, Audrey Wilson, Peter Kelly, David Prout, Wendy Sayles, Sharon Green-something.

My dad died 30 years ago, but I'll ask my mum when she gets back from holiday.

Does anyone remember Mr Bujko? He was a Polish watchmaker who had a little shop at the bottom of Clarence Street (near the junction with Hurst Road) from the early 1950s until c. 1962 when the houses were demolished. Marjan Bujko (1929-2004) came to England as a refugee after the war and settled here. He actually worked for H. Samuel's and his wife ran the shop. They were both really nice people. My grandma bought my first watch there, as a present for passing my 11-plus. Memories!

Edited by hillsbro

Hillsbro -- looking on a map of today, where would Clarence Street have been, because the only one i can find is in an area called Dinnington

Hi Haydn72 - the houses on Clarence Street were demolished in the early 1960s and the street later disappeared - it used to run from Broomhall Street to Ecclesall Road. Here is an early 1900s map of the area - No 148 was in a terrace of houses on the south side of the street, between Moore Street and Clarence Lane. Here is a link to a c. 1960 photo on the picturesheffield.com site showing the junction of Moore Street and Clarence Street.

The 1905 directory shows "John Hoyland, cutler" at 148 Clarence Street. A Mrs White and her family had moved in by 1911, and the 1925 and 1942 directories show her son Frank, described as a steel worker (1925) and scissor maker (1942) there.

Hillsbro -- looking on a map of today, where would Clarence Street have been, because the only one i can find is in an area called Dinnington

Haydn, Hillsboro has already explained where it ran, and that the street itself no longer exists.

if you look at a map of today, you'll see there are some of the old roads, like Ecclesall road, Thomas Street, Moore Street and Young street that still exist, and you can wayfind using them.

As Hillsboro said, it ran between Broomhall Street and Ecclesall Road, roughly where the dual carriageway and underpass roundabout is now

Hillsbro -- looking on a map of today, where would Clarence Street have been...
All traces of Clarence Street have disappeared but it was more-or-less along the course of the modern dual carriageway "Hanover Way". The red line on this "Bing" aerial view shows where Clarence Street would have been.

I just found it close to Hallam Univesity. I gather you are a Sheffield man??

I gather you are a Sheffield man??
Yep, Sheffield born and bred (born at Woodland View, grew up in Hillsborough, matured at Wadsley, put out to grass in North Lincs)..:P