Sheffield Blitz

I am doing my dissertation on the Sheffield Blitz and the impact of this on the working class. I'm wanting to look at all aspects of life from the impact on jobs to living conditions to social life so if anyone that was there could help me I would really appreciate it.

thankyou

sarah

Iwas told on one of the days? water was completly shut off to the Penistone rd Langsett area,but one house on High house rd had a thin trickle of water still coming (down hill?) the word soon spread and for a couple of days a endless line going though this kitchen with pot& pans waiting for their turn to fill.

There's a video documentary available called 'Sheffield At War - The Blitz' which costs about a tenner, or maybe you can get it from the library.

Also if you go to the following link http://www.bbc.co.uk/home/d/ and search for Sheffield blitz it comes up with over 40 pages of peoples stories about it.

Here's what wilkipedia had to say.

The Sheffield Blitz is the name given to the worst nights of bombing in Sheffield, England during the Second World War. It took place over the nights of 12 December and 15 December 1940. Over 660 lives were lost, 1500 more were injured and 40,000 were made homeless. 3,000 homes were demolished with a further 3,000 badly damaged. A total 78,000 homes received damage. Sheffield was targeted by the Luftwaffe due to its importance as a steel centre.

I used to live on Addison Rd in Firth Park and the house had a crack running from the gutters down to the top of the side door as a result of an incendry bomb landing at the top of Addison Rd during an air raid. Some of the houses had air raid shelters in the back gardens but some people just used the kitchen pantry under the stars.

[quote

The Sheffield Blitz is the name given to the worst nights of bombing in Sheffield, England during the Second World War. It took place over the nights of 12 December and 15 December 1940. Over 660 lives were lost, 1500 more were injured and 40,000 were made homeless. 3,000 homes were demolished with a further 3,000 badly damaged. A total 78,000 homes received damage. Sheffield was targeted by the Luftwaffe due to its importance as a steel centre.

[quote

The Sheffiedl blitz was on Thursday the 10th. December and Sunday 13th. December 1940.

Cynthia. Canada.

If you check your calendar Cynthia you would see that the 10th. December 1940 was on a Tuesday and 13th. December1940 was on a Friday. If you also check the BBC link I put on the post it says on there that the first Sheffield Blitz started on December 12th night and went through to the 13th so there can't have been a Sheffield Blitz on the 10th.

sarahjo

If you search the forum you will find more information on a previous posting.

It's entitled 'Sheffield Blitz Information' posted by 'Kenny' on the 19/11/2005.

I hope this helps you.

Happy Days!

Check out trades and labour council minutes at Shoreham St., and of course the papers at the library.

Very interesting dissertation. What themes are you focussing on?

How many bombs dropped on Sheffield in WW2 and where were they?

I remember this question being asked by someone a few years ago. I think there is a book or a list , plus a map, somewhere in the local studies libraries.

I remember my Nan telling me about a bomb that dropped in the gardens near the bottom of Stannington Road. She was evacuated into the cellar of the Anvil Pub across the road.