RIP Ursula K. Le Guin

Ursula K. Le Guin, author of many novels, children's books and short stories, predominately in the genres of Fantasy and Science Fiction, died yesterday in Portland, Oregan at the age of 88.

She was probably most famous for 'A Wizard of Earthsea' and 'The Left Hand Of Darkness' and was a influence for authors such as Neil Gaimon and Iain M. Banks.

RIP.

RIP Ursula,

Read her "Left Hand Of Darkness" ages ago-a ripping novel.

Because Ursula Le Guin is pigeon-holed into the 'fantasy and sci-fi' genres, I don't think the superb quality of her writing is appreciated enough. The Earthsea series is often trivialised as a standard fantasy tale for children, but although many children have enjoyed them there is a great depth to them that surprises a lot of people. Her books are full of love, hope and wisdom and she was skilled at articulating very thoughtful ideas about society and politics in a way that was not brash or crass, but woven into beautiful stories.

Always Coming Home is my favourite of these, ostensibly a lovingly created anthropology of a people who have yet to exist, yet underneath is a message about how differently we could live and organise ourselves. I very rarely recommend books to people, but the two that I would consistently recommend people read are this and Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker. Both are about post-apocalyptic societies, but whereas Hoban's vision is bleak and fatalistic, Le Guin's is full of beauty. Both are great in their own ways, but while many people love and appreciate Riddley Walker, Le Guin's work tends to affect people more deeply and makes them think about life and what it could be. We were very lucky to have her, as are generations to come.