Telly is terrible

What is it with the naff TV these days. We have amazing 55"+ LCD 4K High Definition and god knows what else yet the stuff broadcast is rubbish

So sick of the cheesy cook shops, cheap quiz shows, diy and home makeovers etc etc

Really miss the thought provoking programmes like Horizon and Panorama

Can't wait for the spring to return along with the light nights and to turn the effing TV off!!

Pure dross

What is it with the naff TV these days. We have amazing 55"+ LCD 4K High Definition and god knows what else yet the stuff broadcast is rubbish

So sick of the cheesy cook shops, cheap quiz shows, diy and home makeovers etc etc

Really miss the thought provoking programmes like Horizon and Panorama

Can't wait for the spring to return along with the light nights and to!! turn the effing TV off!!

Pure dross

You need to get sky,i am watching all the documentary channels all the time.Watching Discovery Science at the moment Through the wormholes just about to come on in five minutes.Top programme.

The OP has a very good point. Telly is crap, and it seems to be getting worse.

I try & be selective, only watch it when there's something worth watching.

These 'lifestyle' programmes that tell you how to cook, decorate your home, garden etc. just cheap, dumbed down rubbish with no imagination. Same as all these contests like X Factor / The Voice, & trash like Big Brother / I'm A Celebrity.

Programme makers must think the viewing public are morons.

The OP has a very good point. Telly is crap, and it seems to be getting worse.

I try & be selective, only watch it when there's something worth watching.

These 'lifestyle' programmes that tell you how to cook, decorate your home, garden etc. just cheap, dumbed down rubbish with no imagination. Same as all these contests like X Factor / The Voice, & trash like Big Brother / I'm A Celebrity.

used to be a lot better when we had noel Edmunds and mr blobby,the height of cutting edge comedy

used to be a lot better when we had noel Edmunds and mr blobby,the height of cutting edge comedy

I don't think Noel Edmonds was ever considered to be at the cutting edge. I always though that he was naff.

And they find a presenter, than every other piggin programme uses them. I used to like attenborough progs, but the sound effects and music are overpowering...endless repeats.... grrr.

Youre all doing it wrong. There are some fantastic shows on. Just finished The Tunnel - outstanding TV, Hard Sun was pretty good and I'm about to give McMafia ago. That's off the top of my head. If you find yourself watching I'm a celeb or Homes under the hammer (get a job or get well soon if it's the latter) and not enjoy it (plenty do though - I'm not judging) change the sodding channel. There's a thread on this forum about box sets and binge viewing. Try some, you might like it.

But there's still blue planet etc if you want documentaries and there are still gems on discovery etc if you look have access to it.

I'd agree there is real rubbish on - whole channels devoted to them, and you're probably right that it's getting worse. The good stuff is still very very good though.

Well they are. All the time people keep watching this cheap trash and boosting the ratings by doing so then the makers will carry on making it.

What's happened to having some decent films on? The ones that are on, are usually rubbish, and the few good ones are repeated over and over again.

Two of the four main channels have all had their funding cut repeatedly over the last decade, or have been forced to use it for things other than programme making by the government. That has reduced the amount of good programming they can make, the number of repeats they have to show, the amount of sport they can afford and the number of films they'll buy the rights to broadcast (hence the frequent repeats). ITV is ITV and has always been crap.

And a large section of the public genuinely seem to enjoy mindless cheap garbage. They always have.

The channels will only show what people want to watch the fact that the dreadful Eastenders is always very high in the ratings tells you the level they are aiming at.

I watch very little broadcast TV, plenty of good films, series and docs to watch if you look around.