Rise in Pauper's funerals

The number of Pauper's funerals have risen 70% in 3 years, with many families unable to afford even the most basic costs. The cost of a basic funeral is around £4,000

This is costing councils £4.5 million of taxpayer's money.

Further evidence that people are getting poorer? Any thoughts?

Or evidence funeral directors charges and council`s plot fees are are a rip off.

What are your plans for your demise ?

Maybe. Maybe not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10584884/Paupers-funerals-making-comeback-as-families-exploit-loophole-to-save-funeral-costs.html

"Researchers found evidence that a small but growing number of families are turning to taxpayers to meet all the costs of burying or cremating loved-ones as the “stigma” of being unable or unwilling to contribute disappears."

Or it could just be that people are no longer as religous as they once were; and the nuclear family is not quite as close.

What are your plans for your demise ?

He'll be fly-tipped by the M1.

Edited by Mister Gee

He'll be fly tipped by the M1.

In Barnsley :)

In Barnsley :)

I doubt he'll be bothered or for that matter will anybody else?

.... and now it is likely that some are going to be levied with an additional £100 medical examiners fee from 2021:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-the-death-certification-process/an-overview-of-the-death-certification-reforms#paying-for-the-new-system

But it also says it will end up costing less for most people.

The type of cremation/burial carried out and called "pauper's funerals" can also applies to burials not associated with poverty.

Historically various Health Acts require a council to deal with will-less, unclaimed or abandoned bodies, this includes:

People who die with no traceable relatives.

Unidentified people/pending enquires.

People who have outlived their descendants.

etc.

Cremation is the norm.

A Council will bury in shared ground if they believe cremation would not be what the deceased wanted.

Many Councils, including ours offer more.

In many cases the Council will get their money back from the estate.

That is absolutely the worst thing to do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44327899

The best thing in my opinion is not to have one and have a direct cremation which cuts out the rip-off funeral merchants and only cost around £1,000 to £1,500.

https://www.co-operativefuneralcare.co.uk/arranging-a-funeral/funeral-choices/direct-cremation/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwx43ZBRCeARIsANzpzb972hmVPLen8VP3QkxuwKfWFKOk58Vt45SeCQzP0A0Y_gD10wX_XU8aAhxnEALw_wcB

This is what I have stipulated in my will otherwise any money I have goes to the PDSA and not family.

The best thing is to get in touch with sheffield university med faculty and get the paperwork done to donate your body to science so that your death may help prolong and enhance the quality of life for others.

The cost of a basic funeral is around £4,000

I typed "Basic Funeral Cost" into Google - the top three results were one for £895, one for £495 and a CoOp one for £1995.

The last two funerals I arranged were under £1800, they weren't basic or paupers ones, so I don't know where this figure of £4k comes from and what it entails.

The best thing is to get in touch with sheffield university med faculty and get the paperwork done to donate your body to science so that your death may help prolong and enhance the quality of life for others.

But the medical schools will only take a limited amount and if people want to do that then fine. It could well be that you sign your body over to them and then family find that in the future they will not accept it. Conditions apply such as no autopsy or organs removed is normally one.