Are the 118 118 calls really this much.

It's not robbery. There prices are published and it is absolutely your choice as to whether to use them or not.

(although I do struggle to understand why someone who has access to the Internet would choose to use a high rate service to find a phone number.)

They're clearly not adequately publicised- if they were, no one would use 118.

As Martin Lewis says of 118-

"Its business model is, in my view, a near moral disgrace"

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2015/02/just-been-charged-183-for-one-call-via-118-118--thats-more-than-a-sex-line

A report in the Observer’s Cash pages today reveals how a 90-year-old woman was billed £501 after a directory inquiries number-finding service, operated by Telecom2, tried repeatedly to connect her to her requested number at a cost of £7.99 a minute.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/25/118-directory-inquiry-call-fees-cap-ofcom-clampdown

They're clearly not adequately publicised- if they were, no one would use 118.

It depends what you mean by adequately publicised.

It has just taken me less than 10 seconds to find a list of 118 call charges and that's with an average speed broadband. If you order or use something without first checking how much it costs, then you aren't really in a position to complain about what is charged.

It depends what you mean by adequately publicised.

It has just taken me less than 10 seconds to find a list of 118 call charges and that's with an average speed broadband. If you order or use something without first checking how much it costs, then you aren't really in a position to complain about what is charged.

Well people are complaining, and, rightly so. Fact is, if the 118 adverts displayed the actual cost of the call prominently in their adverts, no one would use their 'service'.

Why are people still stupid enough to use them in the first place?

Surely it can only be the very old who can't look up the number for themselves?

This is a five year old thread - where things may not have been transparent or as accessible for the old Nokia 6210.

This is a five year old thread - where things may not have been transparent or as accessible for the old Nokia 6210.

Yes, but revived two days ago on the news that Ofcom are proposing a cap on 118 charges.

Yes, but revived two days ago on the news that Ofcom are proposing a cap on 118 charges.

With criticism directed at people who posted in 2013 and who may not currently post or may not have had mobile access to the internet 5 years ago.

Plenty of people had access in 2013, it was hardly that long ago.

The iphone was into it's 6th generation, 4G was being rolled out (but 3G+ was still fine).

I don't know anyone who didn't already have a smartphone already by then.

Plenty of people had access in 2013, it was hardly that long ago.

The iphone was into it's 6th generation, 4G was being rolled out (but 3G+ was still fine).

I don't know anyone who didn't already have a smartphone already by then.

So everybody must be like the people you know.

My parents have just got a tablet(February), they only got a smart phone with picture messaging and internet access last year.

I know several other people who don't have internet access or computers.

There's still no point in criticising someone on a 5 year old thread based on todays tech.