America and North Korea

Brilliant tactics by Mr Trump, if NK gives up its nuclear capability and makes peace with SK, what an outcome...Trump has made major concessions to Kim, given him enough rope to hang himself.. If Kim reneges on the deal it will give Trump all the ammunition he needs to take drastic action, and with the backing of his allies.. very clever man..

I’m not that good on politics, but I think you could be right.

No, Trump's people have done well.

Trump doesn't know diplomacy, only threats. It was only a short time ago he was threatening to nuke them. I find it hard to believe such a man can flip from war to peace so easily.

And if he really can do, then I fear for the world.

But he's at the table, Obama and bush - or their people - didn't get there.

I don't doubt he can flip from one position to another - look at the G7 only a few days ago, and as I said he can still balls it up. Both aren't conventional politicians by any measure and that might have made it work.

But he's at the table, Obama and bush - or their people - didn't get there.

Was North Korea such a threat under Bush or Obama though? Bush was busy with Saddam and Bin Laden, I can't speak for Obama.

One thing I can say though, neither Bush or Obama got into a sad Twitter trolling war with them though.

Having a look back at the news from 2012, it seems that Obama was concerned that North Korea was launching satellites.

Funny how history repeats itself though, March 2012:

North Koreans Agree to Freeze Nuclear Work; U.S. to Give Aid

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/world/asia/us-says-north-korea-agrees-to-curb-nuclear-work.html

North Korea announced on Wednesday that it would suspend its nuclear weapons tests and uranium enrichment and allow international inspectors to monitor activities at its main nuclear complex. The surprise announcement raised the possibility of ending a diplomatic impasse that has allowed the country’s nuclear program to continue for years without international oversight.

The Obama administration called the steps “important, if limited.” But the announcement seemed to signal that North Korea’s new leader, Kim Jong-un, is at least willing to consider a return to negotiations and to engage with the United States

Obama's 'Victory' with North Korea

https://www.hudson.org/research/8765-obama-s-victory-with-north-korea

The Obama administration has announced a new nuclear agreement with North Korea under its new supreme leader, Kim Jong-un. The administration says that North Korea has agreed to a moratorium on nuclear-weapons and missile-delivery activities at Yongbyon, one of North Korea’s known nuclear-weapons-related facilities, in exchange for the U.S. agreeing to provide food aid. The announced bargain is worse than bad.

Wholly apart from the fact that North Korea has dishonored each and every non-proliferation agreement it has made over the years and can be expected not to comply with this agreement as well

Was North Korea such a threat under Bush or Obama though? Bush was busy with Saddam and Bin Laden, I can't speak for Obama.

One thing I can say though, neither Bush or Obama got into a sad Twitter trolling war with them though.

Having a look back at the news from 2012, it seems that Obama was concerned that North Korea was launching satellites.

Funny how history repeats itself though, March 2012:

North Koreans Agree to Freeze Nuclear Work; U.S. to Give Aid

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/world/asia/us-says-north-korea-agrees-to-curb-nuclear-work.html

Obama's 'Victory' with North Korea

https://www.hudson.org/research/8765-obama-s-victory-with-north-korea

Interestingly, if I recall correctly, the parting shot from bush to Obama and Obama to trump was "watch out for North Korea".

Watching Trump and Kim yesterday on the news made me feel uncomfy

A few years ago we had some kittens in a pen and while both seemed friendly, one suddenly attacked the other one without warning

Watching Donald Trump and Kim Jong yesterday reminded me of the two kittens in their pen, both looked friendly but which one will strike first

Watching Trump and Kim yesterday on the news made me feel uncomfy

A few years ago we had some kittens in a pen and while both seemed friendly, one suddenly attacked the other one without warning

Watching Donald Trump and Kim Jong yesterday reminded me of the two kittens in their pen, both looked friendly but which one will strike first

Like that post Rogets, many a true word spoken in jest.

I don’t think Kim will be willing to fully give up his weapons due to America’s trustworthiness and the example of Libya.

I hope peace can be reached somehow...

The upside of the meeting is that there is now an open & direct communication link NK -USA and vv. Next round there needs to be China, Japan, SK, and EU at the big table with an agenda/results that can be made public. Top of the agenda should be how to reach a nuclear free peninsula, the timeframe, verification etc, and what NK will get/give in return.

If none of this comes into view, then it will be an empty photo op. for both leaders, and no Nobel Peace prize

He is a proven liar, but then again Trump is no angel, I’ll put my money on Trump, albeit being backed up with the largest armoury in the history of the world. ;)

I'm nothing like the Donald, thankfully.

Angel1.

I'm nothing like the Donald, thankfully.

Angel1.

Proud to be English Angel.

Proud to be American Trump.

Something similar there.

In entirely unsurprising news, reports of NK's nuclear programme's demise have turned out to be premature.

North Korea has not stopped its nuclear and missile programmes, violating UN sanctions, a report commissioned by the UN Security Council says.

It also says Pyongyang has resorted to a "massive increase" of illegal ship-to-ship transfers of oil products and has been trying to sell weapons abroad.