Recommend a carpet & flooring supplier/fitter? No quotes/advertising

Does anyone have any experience of replacing a tiled floor with laminate? We have quite a big area - large kitchen/diner and hallway - and I hate the tiles (don't want to put new tiles down either). I get the impression it's a laborious and messy job. Anyone had it done and can recommend a fitter, or a floor fitter that has done it before, and can comment on just how horrible and expensive a job it is?

If your tiles are on a concrete floor they may be hiding a damp floor with faulty or non-existent damp proof course depending on the age of the house. Worst case scenario is the concrete needs digging up and replacing to give you a dry base for your flooring. If they are on a wooden floor there should be plywood underneath. Getting them up with a hammer and bolster chisel should not be too difficult though the plywood will need replacing. If they are laid directly on floorboards you may splinter the floorboards getting the tiles up.

A cheap option for a concrete floor is to use levelling compound on top of the tiles and to lay a wood-effect vinyl on top.

Does anyone have any experience of replacing a tiled floor with laminate? We have quite a big area - large kitchen/diner and hallway - and I hate the tiles (don't want to put new tiles down either). I get the impression it's a laborious and messy job. Anyone had it done and can recommend a fitter, or a floor fitter that has done it before, and can comment on just how horrible and expensive a job it is?

Just a suggestion...

http://www.karndean.com/en/floors

A much nicer surface than laminate, a bit softer so less clattery noise, but very hardwearing.

I have a kitchen/diner and hallway covered in Karndean vinyl planks, very practical for those rooms. Gilbert carpets did the job for me.

Upstairs or downstairs main key . If upstairs no prob Balfour carpet does all mine 5mm PLY on to floor boards then Cushion Floor forget about laminates etc

take no notice of firms trying to sell these expensive flooring // If downstairs may still be wood / floorboards / Just had my kitchen floor done feel free to come have a look in S13 near asda cheers spider :hihi:

Just a suggestion...

http://www.karndean.com/en/floors

A much nicer surface than laminate, a bit softer so less clattery noise, but very hardwearing.

I have a kitchen/diner and hallway covered in Karndean vinyl planks, very practical for those rooms. Gilbert carpets did the job for me.

Thats my issue with laminate.. drop anything on it and it sounds like a fire cracker going off. If you have young kids that tend to drop & throw stuff its like being in a war zone. Also cold & creaky if not laid perfectly.

Can't comment on this specific type of work but Tate & Walton (see FB) on 07901 782655 have just replaced some cracked kitchen tiles and re-grouted the entire floor satisfactorily.

Thanks for the various responses. To clarify, it's downstairs on a concrete floor. The house is < 20 years old and I doubt there's any damp to be concerned about. Whether we go for laminate or vinyl is up for discussion - it just won't be more tiles. My main fear is that removing the tiles and preparing the floor for whichever new surface we choose could be a massive and messy undertaking.

Does anyone know of a carpet fitter that can lay me some vinyl flooring in S5, that won't cost the earth.

Thanks for the various responses. To clarify, it's downstairs on a concrete floor. The house is < 20 years old and I doubt there's any damp to be concerned about. Whether we go for laminate or vinyl is up for discussion - it just won't be more tiles. My main fear is that removing the tiles and preparing the floor for whichever new surface we choose could be a massive and messy undertaking.

No its not a massive expensive job Any handy man could take the tiles up screwfix sell a tool called a floor scrapper escpecially for the job about £20 and its very good . Then down to balfour carpets they will put 6 mm ply on the floor

then nice thick cushion floor cant be beat . same as i said come and look at mine majic in S13 :hihi:

I removed floor tiles from a concrete floor last year - prior to that Carpetright had laid underlay and carpet straight on top as i didn't want the mess of taking the tiles up.

However last year i bought an sds diy jackhammer and took them up in a day.

I then laid self levelling compound on top and then eventualy underlay and carpet from the new carpety place at Darnall.

It was noisy and dusty but worthwhile in the end.

About 10 years ago we had a tiled kitchen/diner floor removed and levelling compound put down(the floor did drop 25mm over 6metres)we now has some serious cushion floor down. The price was okay at the time - but with doing it myself recently - it was easy money for all sets of trades i employed.

Thanks Spider1 and Willman - sounds doable :-) appreciate your input