Sign in to follow this  

Structural Engineer recommendations

Hi, I'm wanting a structural engineer to come and do some calculations on a kitchen wall I'm wanting to knock down between 2 houses and create a one kitchen.

Any ideas would really help.

Thanks

Contact me and I can let you know how I went about this when I fitted a RSJ.

Obviously I'm a lay-person... I have 1 quote in from a company who will size a beam / lintel for me so that a supporting wall can be removed. The quote includes a site visit (which you'd expect).

I wondered if anyone on here had used an Engineering company to do the same and can recommend them? I dunno why, but I feel the quote is a little high for someone local to visit the property, look at it, maybe measure some things and do some sums (probably plugging stuff into a spreadsheet). It might not be high, though - it might be the going rate.

It would serve me well to get more than one quote, though, and I like to work off recommendations if I can. Happy to hear back from anyone as I don't have any contacts in this sphere.

I couldn't recommend anybody, but I paid £750 for someone to size up the beam to open up a small offshot kitchen (without visiting the property) and £500 to have it installed and all that without building regs sign off! Being the novice I was at the time I assumed everything would have been done properly by the builder contracted to do the work. Now I'm told I might need retrospective building regs to confirm the steel is suitable which will involve hacking the plaster off the wall. Think I was had.

How much have you been quoted?

Admittedly a lot less than that! Think along the lines of a third.

Only for sizing, though... recommended by the Architect. I trust it's legitimate and I don't think I'm being had, but I do always try to make an effort to get more than 1 price in. Your story makes me feel better about the price already (sorry).

Admittedly a lot less than that! Think along the lines of a third.

Only for sizing, though... recommended by the Architect. I trust it's legitimate and I don't think I'm being had, but I do always try to make an effort to get more than 1 price in. Your story makes me feel better about the price already (sorry).

Your quote seems more than reasonable. Go for it.

(Infact feel free to PM me who you contacted, I pay a lot more than that and have a 'little' steel job coming up )

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 21:17 ----------

Thanks for the info (on both counts!).

Made my last post but turns out I don't need an architect it has to be a structural engineer. Can anyone recommend one who could draw me plans and calculations for a retaining wall as soon as possible?

Thanks

Can anybody recommend any structural engineers please 

Try

Martin Evans on Huntingtower Rd  S11 7GS

Hello

Does anybody out there know of a structural engineer who can calculate me the size of an Rsj I will need for a wall removal I am doing in my kitchen. The wall is a load bearing wall with a 4.2 metre span the floor above it is timber joists, timber floor & breeze block wall to the loft area. 

Look on the internet at other people's enquiries for sizing of RSJs. One or two suppliers have tables of sizes versus span and load. There is also a rule of thumb:- half an inch deep for every foot of span. So 4.2 metres is about 14 foot so that's 7 inches deep. But don't take my word for it, what you do is entirely your responsibility. Have you thought of using a Catnell girder?

Edited by nikki-red