Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Slopdosh Bobbar & Ivan Crump

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

10-11-2003, 17:43   #1
THE KING

Total Posts: 8
Anyone remember these guys? I still have a tape by them called 'two cartons of youghurt and a trumpet'. Its from about 1988/89....they were definately different. I hear they were popular around Sheffield? Any info would be much appreciated.
12-11-2003, 18:37   #2
slh73

Total Posts: 2,970
Send a message via MSN to slh73
Mick Smith, their singer/songwriter, is an old mate of mine, Havent seen him in a while, but last time I bumped into him on the moor hed just packed in another band of his (fanny batter and the fur burgers) and was starting with a new one, the car-painters (we dont make furniture, we paint cars). Dont know if theyve started playing live yet, he was looking for a drummer.
12-11-2003, 18:49   #3
THE KING

I spoke to someone today about the band and she said she had seen them a couple of times, she said they were all a bit mental, didn't they all share a house? I like the song 'Gerald the Horse' whoever wrote that needs an award its a classic
12-11-2003, 21:56   #4
Damon

Total Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally posted by slh73
Mick Smith, their singer/songwriter, is an old mate of mine, Havent seen him in a while, but last time I bumped into him on the moor hed just packed in another band of his (fanny batter and the fur burgers)
Was he also in Doobree Furkin And The Battered Fur Burger band?

Saw 'em at the George IV in about 1987. Mental indeed.

And there was that other finely named Sheffield band around then - The F**k City S**tters.

Nice.
12-11-2003, 23:07   #5
THE KING

Ah yes, wasn't the FCS fronted by a chap called Pete, I got one of their ep's. Remember GGF as well?

I saw Slopdosh at the Hallamshire and Take Two
13-11-2003, 14:17   #6
slh73

Mick used to work the door at Take Two, back in the days of Slopdosh. Keep an eye open for him around town, hes a difficult bloke to miss. 6'10", shaved head, fair few facial piercings, the words "RAMONES" and "CICCONE" tattooed in heavy black block letters down each forearm, and a tattoo of a bottle of hendersons relish that stretches from his ankle to his knee. Top bloke.
13-11-2003, 14:43   #7
Damon

Total Posts: 712
Quote:
and a tattoo of a bottle of hendersons relish that stretches from his ankle to his knee. Top bloke.
LOL!!
13-11-2003, 20:43   #8
THE KING

Quote:
Mick used to work the door at Take Two, back in the days of Slopdosh. Keep an eye open for him around town, hes a difficult bloke to miss. 6'10", shaved head, fair few facial piercings, the words "RAMONES" and "CICCONE" tattooed in heavy black block letters down each forearm, and a tattoo of a bottle of hendersons relish that stretches from his ankle to his knee. Top bloke.
I have it on good authority the MS NEVER worked on the door of T2 nor ANY door for that matter, but it was however the Bass player Tommy who worked there. Maybe I should conduct my research with those who actually know eh? Thanks anyway.
15-11-2003, 13:27   #9
slh73

Quote:
I have it on good authority the MS NEVER worked on the door of T2 nor ANY door for that matter, but it was however the Bass player Tommy who worked there. Maybe I should conduct my research with those who actually know eh? Thanks anyway.
Fair enough, Im only going on stories told to me by Mick. I do know the bloke, I havent seen him in a while. Used to use the same tattoo/piercing studio as him (Designer Skin, West Bar, now closed down)..Can even give you an address if you want to get in touch with him...he lives in Greenhill.
15-11-2003, 13:28   #10
slh73

Also:

Quote:
Anyone remember these guys? I still have a tape by them called 'two cartons of youghurt and a trumpet'. Its from about 1988/89....they were definately different. I hear they were popular around Sheffield? Any info would be much appreciated.
Any info will be much appreciated? Maybe Ill keep any other info I have for someone who does appreciate it next time. ******.
15-11-2003, 14:36   #11
THE KING

Your information is warmly recieved. Any information on the band should be very interesting... maybe a biog....band members (and what they are doing now etc?).

I would still like to know who is credited for writing GERALD THE HORSE?

Thanks
09-08-2005, 22:02   #12
pete_fcs

Total Posts: 1,280
Send a message via Yahoo to pete_fcs
slopdosh used to be doobrie firkin and the battered fir burgers. they played some dolebusters gigs mid-eighties, some with trolley dog shag starring steve mackie, later of pulp.

i still know mixmiff the singer... i was their drummer (the car-painters) for a few rehearsals at the end of 2001.

i also played for the f*** city sh**ters from 1986 to 1990 (mentioned in this thread) and ggf, maniac, slbc, pasc and others
10-08-2005, 09:00   #13
H.P
Moonchild

Total Posts: 3,309
I remember them... Does anyone remember that other great littleknown band that was around about the same time...
Lawn Mower Death
10-08-2005, 10:08   #14
Freebird

Total Posts: 412
Send a message via MSN to Freebird
Quote:
Originally posted by honeyplanet
I remember them... Does anyone remember that other great littleknown band that was around about the same time...
Lawn Mower Death
Yep,I Remember Lawnmower Deth,They Tended To Support Acid Reign A Lot.Now They Were A Good Crap Band.I Can Remember Them Playing At The Leadmill With "H" Coming On The Stage In A Suit.They Did Some Good Gigs In Sheffield.

Time For A Re-Union,Lads?
10-08-2005, 10:37   #15
H.P
Moonchild

Total Posts: 3,309
Watch out grandma the lawnmowers comimg...............
30-09-2005, 14:15   #16
MR_BOBBAR

Total Posts: 5
to ALL the BOBBAR fans out there i have the facts you may sometimes be miss lead about.

the BOBBAR is still going strong in Sheffield. take a good wiff in the air while youre standing at the bus stop!!!!

from the days of ;
...THE GOOZEGOGGS
....DOOBREE FIRKIN & THE BATTERED FURBURGERS (NOt band)
....SLOPDOSH BOBBAR & IVAN CRUMP
....FANNY FLANNELS & HER CHOCOLATE STARFISH
....CARPAINTERS

I am the person who gave birth to ALL the above.

the latest venture is.....

BIG CHIEF HUMMING BOBBAR

soon to be heard on jane kitsons show raw talent on bbc radio sheffield.

and also soon to be released.....

TUNA PANTS THE SINGLES 1914 - 1964.
if its not in the shop when you ask for it demand to know why

gigs to be anounced

HAVE YOU GOT BOBBAR ON YOUR SHOES?????
30-09-2005, 14:29   #17
MR_BOBBAR

Quote:
Fair enough, Im only going on stories told to me by Mick. I do know the bloke, I havent seen him in a while. Used to use the same tattoo/piercing studio as him (Designer Skin, West Bar, now closed down)..Can even give you an address if you want to get in touch with him...he lives in Greenhill.

assume that "the king" aka tommy
(who was the cause of slopdosh splitting)
is telling the truth, lmfao.!!!!!!!!!

i live in a teepee now in a place called wyattspit. however it would be nice for those claiming to know me not to tell the world where im living!!!!!
30-09-2005, 14:45   #18
MR_BOBBAR

Quote:
Originally posted by THE KING

i have it on even gooderer authority that tommy only ate chips and stood by the door at take two because he didnt have enough to get in!

ask any of the lads who worked there! we were there and all our stories match, however we only have tommys word for it! lol

and he never shared his chips!!!

selt and viginar any one???

Last edited by MR_BOBBAR; 30-09-2005 at 15:09.
30-09-2005, 16:02   #19
headup

Total Posts: 396
Tommy worked the door at the Wap for a bit though right? At least, he hung around there for a bit...
30-09-2005, 16:09   #20
Modesty

Total Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally posted by MR_BOBBAR
I am the person who gave birth to ALL the above.
Is this person Mix Mif of the Vally?
Reply To Topic