Castle Market - It's ours, leave it alone!

Is there only me in Sheffield that thinks moving the market from the traditional area around Exchange St, Castlegate ,to the very bottom of the Moor is town planning gone mad. The Castle Market area has been let to go into a dilapidated state deliberately by the council and its leader Paul Sriven.This has then lead to all and sundry among the professional classes clammering for the Markets demolition so as they can have a nice open space and can view a small bit of garden wall that is what is left of Sheffield Castle.In there enthusiasm for this self centred scheme they completely disregard the less well of section of Sheffield folk who use the Market and its immediate area as there main shopping area,The proposed site at the BOTTOM of the moor is not served by the tram or indeed an adequate bus interchange.The actions of these selfish professionals /?who are hellbent on destroying a thousand years of traditional Market area is deplorable.

i disagree - that whole area is a disgrace, its filthy, delapitaded and needs knocking down, if any visitors come to Sheffield and see that area they would be shocked!

I agree that the bottom of the moor is a bit way out but the whole market area was a dump when I lived in Sheffield and that was donkeys years ago, sounds like it's even worse now, probably time for a change.

its filthy dated and full of cheap tacky shops and attracts undesirables!!

Yep, tip. The sooner someone knocks the Coop building down over the market, sweeps the lot up and builds something pleasant there instead the better

not a car park tho theres enuff of them or a block of apartments noone can afford!

I think the way the labour council strung the market traders along for years whilst letting the area go down the pan is a disgrace.

At least over the years since the Lib Dems got in they tried several schemes to built a decent market hall to comply with the new regs and give the traders a decent place to work.

Hope it comes off this time, and that we get a linking of Wicker, river, castle remains, and canal basin, could be a really good area then.

A new market would be fine just not the hole we have now. I think this had been much debated but its a dump full of toothless pikeys. I pay the odd visit but I think I'm drawn more by morbid curiousity than anything

Edited by Smack Jack

i disagree - that whole area is a disgrace, its filthy, delapitaded and needs knocking down, if any visitors come to Sheffield and see that area they would be shocked!

Precisely my point.

I agree that the bottom of the moor is a bit way out but the whole market area was a dump when I lived in Sheffield and that was donkeys years ago, sounds like it's even worse now, probably time for a change.

Well you don,t use it then.

its filthy dated and full of cheap tacky shops and attracts undesirables!!

This is Castle Market we are talking about not Meadowhall

Yep, tip. The sooner someone knocks the Coop building down over the market, sweeps the lot up and builds something pleasant there instead the better

The Coop , do you mean Castle House now that would make a great Market Hall.