School handwriting..

This probably is only of relevance to the older generations, but then again perhaps not...

When you had handwriting lessons in school (did you?) what script type were you taught? In the early 80's we had to learn Zane Bloser I think, lots of emphasis on speed and flow and loops... curious as to what others learnt. My grandfather learnt Spencerian and whilst it looked amazing it really needed a proper fountain pen to make it nicely legible..

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 20:30 ----------

Not specifically sheffield history despite the forum it's ended up in.......

https://www.google.com/search?q=zaner+bloser+font&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ZtgOUIPMfmWUIM%253A%252C9-jMeuZSvX1hvM%252C_&usg=__RrJT6W565cz-Jn29c759S7B1CRE%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimnLyIy5rcAhVCaVAKHc8WBoMQ9QEIKzAB#imgrc=ZtgOUIPMfmWUIM:

Zane bloser - didn't know it but think this is the font I was taught at school.

But I obviously didn't listen very well as my writing now bears no resemblance to the link

Edited by Daven

In the early 70s at a senior school I attended in Aldershot, we had to learn italic handwriting. It looked beautiful when done correctly.

Edited by francypants

At Hucklow Road school I was taught italic handwriting by Mrs Boyson. This was around 1974. Mrs Boyson was a great teacher.

Well, you learn something every day!! Back in the 40's I was never aware that we were being taught a script type. All I recall is learning how to form letters and then learning to "join them up" !! how did we survive?? :)

Don,t ever remember being taught handwritinng specifically, it was something you just did.

At junior school it was italics. You had to write in pencil unless you were good, then you got a pen! I never did get the pen.

When we moved to our secondary school, we weren't allowed to write in italics. I never worked out why they did this to kids but it still goes on to this day. My opinion is to teach them to write neatly, then move on to the posh stuff if they want to.

So long as it is legible I don't see why it matters.

My first experience of writing came at infant school on a slate using a slate pencil. No different to Victorian times!

Cursive 'joined up' handwriting exercises were the order of the day in the '40s and '50s. Biros and felt tips were something for the future and so we were given pencils in junior school and a piece of 6mm dowel with a nib on the end which they called 'a pen' when we reached secondary level. That was dipped in the ink well on your desk (remember the ink monitors?) and away we went.

If you were lucky the pen had a usable nib but sometimes it had been used as a dart to be thrown into the wooden desk lid, in which case the nib was bent. Not a chance of any decent results.

Another obstacle to overcome could have been that one of the miscreants in your class had slipped a bit of bicarb in the ink which resulted in an unholy mess on your page as soon as nib touched paper.

We were given house points for excellent work and a stroke of the cane for every blot on the paper. Hard to believe, but true.

Being reasonable at art I was often assigned the task of writing the day's lunch menu (or dinner as we call it in Yorkshire) out on a blackboard in italic writing using a piece of chisel pointed chalk.

Best days of your life, some say!

echo.

Edited by echo beach

My first experience of writing came at infant school on a slate using a slate pencil. No different to Victorian times!

Cursive 'joined up' handwriting exercises were the order of the day in the '40s and '50s. Biros and felt tips were something for the future and so we were given pencils in junior school and a piece of 6mm dowel with a nib on the end which they called 'a pen' when we reached secondary level. That was dipped in the ink well on your desk (remember the ink monitors?) and away we went.

If you were lucky the pen had a usable nib but sometimes it had been used as a dart to be thrown into the wooden desk lid, in which case the nib was bent. Not a chance of any decent results.

Another obstacle to overcome could have been that one of the miscreants in your class had slipped a bit of bicarb in the ink which resulted in an unholy mess on your page as soon as nib touched paper.

We were given house points for excellent work and a stroke of the cane for every blot on the paper. Hard to believe, but true.

Being reasonable at art I was often assigned the task of writing the day's lunch menu (or dinner as we call it in Yorkshire) out on a blackboard in italic writing using a piece of chisel pointed chalk.

Best days of your life, some say!

echo.

Cursive script at Abbey Lane Primary in the late 50s / early 60s.It obviously didn’t stick - my writing is still untidy!

We were taught Marion Richingson hand writing and encouraged to use an Osmaroid fountain pen with Quink ink----this was at Hurlfield boys 1954-59

I was at school 1949 -1960, Owler Lane Infants, Grimesthorpe Junior, 1 year at Hucklow then to Hinde House when it opened. During that time I had my hand writing style changed twice started with loops then first change get rid of the loops then second change put loops back in - any surprise that since then my handwriting has been rubbish !! I hardly do any handwriting now thanks to computer - probably a good job !!!