Are people sending texts ignorant..or is it me?

A few days ago my daughter dropped in for a cuppa. I made her a drink and when i came into the living room she was engaged in texting to a friend. I was asking her stuff but the only response i was getting was "eh?"

After a few minutes she stopped and i said to her that i had been trying to talk to her but she hardly heard a word i had said and told her how it got on my nerves and that i thought it was a bit ignorant.

Her reply made me think when she said "maybe it's you that's being ignorant dad. If you were in a conversation with someone i wouldn't dream of butting in but you were doing it all the time i was in a text conversation with my mate. Times have changed and you need to let the person finish their conversation on their mobile"

Maybe she's right and i'm the ignorant one, although at 64 years old i think i'm too long in the tooth to accept her views.

Im with you on this one mate . She could've told her mate , Im visiting dad ,ill text you later . Its a bugbear of mine , but welcome to the modern world

No derfblade you are not ignorant.

---------- Post added 20-03-2018 at 21:23 ----------

I'm not even your daughter but if I were visiting you then you would have my undivided attention

Im with you on this one mate . She could've told her mate , Im visiting dad ,ill text you later . Its a bugbear of mine , but welcome to the modern world

My daughter visits me regulary, she"s never off here phone, conversation is nigh impossible, but like you say hackey its 2018, us oldies can"t deal with it.

My daughter visits me regulary, she"s never off here phone, conversation is nigh impossible, but like you say hackey its 2018, us oldies can"t deal with it.

Ask her nicely to stop it , if she carries on , give her a good hiding :)

Iv"e threatened to confiscate it,

Family times in our house are phone free zones e.g. meal times. They don't like it but if they don't agree they won't get fed.

That's not allowed in our family. The young people can have time on their phones, but not during dinner or family time. A conversation does need at least two participants and it needs them to be able to hear as well as speak.

There's no reason in the world why anybody can't send a message of 'Can't chat, speak later' is there?

Iv"e threatened to confiscate it,

Don't do that . She will get withdrawal symptoms and end up giving you a good hiding :)

That's not allowed in our family. The young people can have time on their phones, but not during dinner or family time. A conversation does need at least two participants and it needs them to be able to hear as well as speak.

There's no reason in the world why anybody can't send a message of 'Can't chat, speak later' is there?

When the"ve got about 2000 friends , that's impossible:huh:

A bit too late as she's 38!:hihi:

When the"ve got about 2000 friends , that's impossible:huh:

No, it's not. Just like turning off an iPhone is 'impossible' because it turns itself back on if someone sends you a text or calls you, but if you put it in airplane mode, that makes them all go away.

Family rule is family rule. They can turn it off or have it taken off them.