Stop the bedroom tax - petition

No, Plain Talker, I believe that you are mistaken. It is an allowance which may now be reduced. It is still an allowance and it is still GIVEN to people who qualify for it.

No, johnny, you are seriously in error.

An allowance, for example, is the £398 million pounds given to the queen, to reward her for being rich, or the £6,00-£10,00 increase in salary that Members of Parliament have been given, whilst at the same time, telling us the country cannot afford money schools, welfare, the NHS adequate esquipment for out armed forces fighting in the Middle East...

By definition, an allowance is something that is GIVEN to people, not something that is taken away from them.

I don't think you're right by saying this bold, PT.

What you are arguing here is the issue from your perspective of fairness (which you are free/right to do), but he isn't seriously in error saying it's an allowance. HB is an allowance. Queen gets an allowance, but not for being rich as you said, that's ridiculous. Yes the Queen gets £xm, and politicians get £66k (which is a wage rather than an allowance, so discard this one).

By definition, an allowance is something that is GIVEN to people, not something that is taken away from them

People are still being GIVEN HB. They aren't having their HB taken away, it's being reduced for people who live in social housing that is bigger than they need.

Your arguments about adapted housing are right, no one has disputed that. That's why you'll win your case. If you don't win it, I'll be first in the queue to help you fight and win. I'm yet to see an example of someone being evicted for living in an adapted house, which is the worst possible outcome.

You obviously don't understand the concept of "To each according to their need, from each according to their ability to pay".

There is also another concept that appears to be alien to you, that of empathy.

---------- Post added 12-07-2013 at 00:12 ----------

What does the failed concept of Marxism have to do with this?

Its all well and good, till you run out of other peoples money, which is exactly what has happened in this country.

As to empathy, I know of lots of people who "swing the lead". Several even in my own family, who live a very comfortable life off the work of others via pretend disabilities that stop them from working. Enough is enough.

And this so called tax is only the first step.

An allowance, for example, is the £398 million pounds given to the queen, to reward her for being rich, or the £6,00-£10,00 increase in salary that Members of Parliament have been given, whilst at the same time, telling us the country cannot afford money schools, welfare, the NHS adequate esquipment for out armed forces fighting in the Middle East...

By definition, an allowance is something that is GIVEN to people, not something that is taken away from them.

You cant pay taxes out of money you get for free from other tax payers! The actual bedroom tax is paid by people who work, for idle folk to have spare bedrooms. Thats the only sense that this is the tax.

This is a reduction in an allowance (I prefer benefit).

It is not a tax and it's clearly not an allowance.

---------- Post added 12-07-2013 at 07:24 ----------

No, Plain Talker, I believe that you are mistaken. It is an allowance which may now be reduced. It is still an allowance and it is still GIVEN to people who qualify for it.

It is the reduction that we are discussing though, not the benefit itself.

Remind us: were the suicide victim's family pulling together with her and supporting her?

It doesn't seem so.

That is what I was trying to say...not that the tax is right or wrong, I have been on both sides of the coin, but she had family, they could have helped her even in a small way, sometimes it is not always someone elses fault x

The straw on the camels back comes to mind when i read things like this, I would think it is not just one thing that tips a person over.

Incredible how many Tories/UKIP'ers are on these threads, when they are such a tiny minority in Sheffield.

Incredible how many Tories/UKIP'ers are on these threads, when they are such a tiny minority in Sheffield.

Conservatives: yes.

UKIP: no longer so tiny!

Conservatives: yes.

UKIP: no longer so tiny!

I thought that all the UKippers were on a fact finding mission to Bongobongoland...:rolleyes: