Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

I worked behind the bar at Smithywood in the early 70's

Don't remember the Old greasbrough club but I have been told about it. I was talking to a man last night who claims that even marily monroe sang there. Not sure how true it is? anyone know?

He got the wrong film star it was Jayne Mansfield who appeared at the old Greasborough Club,on her return to America she was decapitated in a car accident not long after!.She was in a bad relationship with some low life who knocked her around,a sad end after her Hollywood life!.

:roll:

He got the wrong film star it was Jayne Mansfield who appeared at the old Greasborough Club,on her return to America she was decapitated in a car accident not long after!.She was in a bad relationship with some low life who knocked her around,a sad end after her Hollywood life!.

:roll:

Her daughter is in the American series " Law & Order Special Victims Unit" her name is Marischa Hargitay, her father was Micky Hargitay. I think you got mixed up with Lana Turner who was involved with Johnny Stompanato and he beat her up on a regular basis, with the result her daughter Cheryl Crane stabbed him to death. She was acquitted of murder.

Her daughter is in the American series " Law & Order Special Victims Unit" her name is Marischa Hargitay, her father was Micky Hargitay. I think you got mixed up with Lana Turner who was involved with Johnny Stompanato and he beat her up on a regular basis, with the result her daughter Cheryl Crane stabbed him to death. She was acquitted of murder.

Mickey Hargitay. prior to his relationship with Jayne Mansfield ,he was involved with Mae West in some way and I think he was the recipient of the famous line" Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Mickey Hargitay. prior to his relationship with Jayne Mansfield ,he was involved with Mae West in some way and I think he was the recipient of the famous line" Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

You could be right. :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=micky+hagarty&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#imgrc=L1YU-QdyIfocJM%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fen%252F6%252F60%252FMickey_hargitay_1955_strength_and_health_cover.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FMickey_Hargitay%3B328%3B432

It's my understanding that Sammy Davis Jnr appeared at the old Greaseboro' club at some point back when.

It's my understanding that Sammy Davis Jnr appeared at the old Greaseboro' club at some point back when.

Saw Acker Bilk there in the sixties and Bobby Vee, I think that was early seventies, well after his heyday, anyway.

It was after Jayne Mansfield had split up with Mickey Hargitay,she got mixed up with some sleazeball who was supposed to be promoting her and was her boyfriend at the same time!.She was on a downwards spiral at this time ending with the terrible car accident when she lost her life,I haven,t mixed her up with Lana Turner although their stories are similar!.

I lived down the road from greasborough club and saw Cat Stephens, Lulu, The Bonzo Dog Dooda Band, The Shadows, Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch and many others. The strangest booking had to be Harry Corbett. My dad asked me to go with him one sunday lunchtime (mucky comic time as the wives were at home cooking dinner) to see Harry Corbett thinking the Harry C. from Steptoe and Son had a standup act, instead we were treated to Sooty and Sweep. The rest of the blokes there had made the same mistake and a concert room packed with miners and steelworkers ooed, aawed, and laughed as harry was squirted, tricked and hit in the face with cream pies. Harry, Sooty, and Sweep received a standing ovation and many calls for encores.

My girlfriend at the time worked at Muntus Bros in Rotherham and sold Lulu a corset the afternoon of her appearance.

In the late 1960's my dad was the concert sec at the AEU club on Stanley St.

Some of the names I can recall as a child and youth I might add were his big drinking partners Fred Beard , Tommy Murphy and Bunny a Gordon Strachan lookalike. I also recall fellow committee men Eric Marshall and Billy Balme.

Turns I remember were Tony Irvine and the Typhoons , the Greycats and the first black comedian I ever saw Benny Nightingale.

My Grandad Gamble was on the committee at that time I remember he used to sit in the " chair" on Friday nights. I was born in 1957 so I was very young but the lovely memories are still there. He must have known the lads you mentioned.

I was a member of Handsworth Club around 1965. Worked at Orgreave coke ovens with Harry who was "on the door" sometimes. Used to love Sundays for the strippers and if Harry was on I'd go with him to pay the stripper. I used to be scared ****less by them!!! All the old ladies there on a Sunday for the bingo were called pudding burners.

Saw the Grumbleweeds, Marti Caine and others whose names will probably come to me as soon as I hit "enter"!!

I went out with the club secretaries daughter at Midhill wmc in the 60's. Was told by him to go in the club sunday lunchtime and he would make me a member. after that he said go into the concert room and watch the stripper. It was the best laugh I ever had. The girl had obviously not done it before. She struggled to take her bra off and when she came to take her knickers of she fell over an summersalted off the stage into the lads in the front row.

When I was very young I played on the foundations of the Lane Top WMC. before the new club was built an old cottage was used.