Boarding a loft

I have had a couple of quotes(£4/5,000) without regs, for 'hobby rooms'. One firm seemed happy to remove the roof supports(purlins?), which would make it the same as my next door neighbours house.

In a similar way to the link below.

Why would you want to remove the purlins?

Any one who removes purlins is asking for trouble .Dont like loft convertions aah

Most houses built in the last 40 years do not have purlins but T.D A. trusses and should not be touched If you want more room build an extention or move. :suspect:

Edited by spider1

£100 worth of these: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Chipboard-Loft-Panels---320-x-1-22m-Pack-of-3/p/116420, and a weekend with a power drill and screw driver

a few years ago, my dad boarded ours out, purely for storage. He very carefully got his marker pens out, and drew onto the boards where any cables, joists, pipes etc were. I can't tell you how grateful our electrician and plumber were a few years later when we had some building work done!

a few years ago, my dad boarded ours out, purely for storage. He very carefully got his marker pens out, and drew onto the boards where any cables, joists, pipes etc were. I can't tell you how grateful our electrician and plumber were a few years later when we had some building work done!

Good idea!

In America, some contractors used to create a "house Bible" where they take lots of photos of walls, floors and ceilings to every room before they close/board up.

This is presented to the homeowner on completion.

That way you can check pipe locations, slack remaining in electrical wiring and other hidden gems. You can also update with new photos as you go - a great little reference book for the homeowner.

These days you could purchase a 360 camera for cheap and take a few shots to achieve the same thing digitally.

I am not familiar with the terms, maybe it's the truss braces that I mean. There is a heavy piece of wood running from one party-wall to the other, that supports the roof beams. Its the wooden supports going from the floor joists to the roof beams.

Edited by El Cid

If you are still looking for help with this, we can help out, we have completed plenty of loft conversions in the past in and around Sheffield.

Get in touch if you want some advice - Toucan Property Maintenance

If you want building regs, you'll need a couple of steels to hang new floor timbers off.

I am thinking along those lines. It is now partially boarded, but when I was doing it I noticed a long piece of wood that had been removed. At least I can't think of any other explanation as to why it was up there.

I believe it was part of the roof support, a purlin which went just above the floor. It went from one party wall to the chimney at the middle.

It's all new to me, so I am struggling with what to call each beam. There is a purlin attached at one side of the chimney, the piece of wood that I found, I believe should go at the other side.

There are minor cracks in the ceiling below, it could be the hot weather, but I don't want any more weight in the loft until I sort it out.

ToucanPM Re: Boarding a loft

If you are still looking for help with this, we can help out, we have completed plenty of loft conversions in the past in and around Sheffield.

Thanks, I am near Leeds.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 19:07 ----------

Looking at the councils building control website, they charge £80-£160

i be careful of anyone cutting purlins or trusses out as both supporting . good luck ta jeff

I am thinking along those lines. It is now partially boarded, but when I was doing it I noticed a long piece of wood that had been removed. At least I can't think of any other explanation as to why it was up there.

I believe it was part of the roof support, a purlin which went just above the floor. It went from one party wall to the chimney at the middle.

It's all new to me, so I am struggling with what to call each beam. There is a purlin attached at one side of the chimney, the piece of wood that I found, I believe should go at the other side.

There are minor cracks in the ceiling below, it could be the hot weather, but I don't want any more weight in the loft until I sort it out.

Thanks, I am near Leeds.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 19:07 ----------

Looking at the councils building control website, they charge £80-£160

Did you get your loft sorted in the end?