Old driving instructors and lessons!!!

stan wainwright taught me to drive in 1969. he was based om imfirmary road in those days xx

Stan Wainright cant remember the name of the instructor but I believe they were the only school to use volkswagen beatles as their lesson cars I passed from Dodd St 1968/69

My driving instructor was Bert Fell and I passed first time in thick fog at Handsworth on December 1971. Still remember things he taught me.

I also learned through Bert Fell's school. Instructor was a guy called George. I passed on my 3rd attempt in a Morris Minor.

Passed in 1968 in a series 2 Land Rover. Instructor made me demonstrate hand signals. Also hit me with clipboard for emergency stop.:(

Passed in 1968 in a series 2 Land Rover. Instructor made me demonstrate hand signals. Also hit me with clipboard for emergency stop.:(

Did Land rovers have a lot of gears back then ?

I think it was a 4 speed box with the option of low range or high range giving 8 different ratios, I think?

When I first learnt to drive i Was taught by Stan Weinwright on Infirmary Road ,When approaching a steep hill Stan would say "get thi revs up "so as to get up the hill a little better , he would also tell me to double de clutch and so on .

The driving test must be a lot easier these days now that cars drive themselves.

When I first learnt to drive i Was taught by Stan Weinwright on Infirmary Road ,When approaching a steep hill Stan would say "get thi revs up "so as to get up the hill a little better , he would also tell me to double de clutch and so on .

The driving test must be a lot easier these days now that cars drive themselves.

Never did learn to drive a car in England. Think I learned how to drive a Sheffield bus though, by sitting up front and watching the driver, lol

But as a young apprentice I made the mistake of saying I could drive a motorcycle.

On one job, my mate had a new big shiny motorbike, can't remember the name or model, but for some reason he had to leave the site. He asked if I could take the bike back to our digs for him. I said yes, then was left to figure out how me and his precious bike would get home in one piece.

After a few false starts and stops around the building site, I finally got up the nerve to take it on the streets. We managed to get home safe, but the experience stayed with me forever.

My driving experience came from another mate in Canada who asked If I wanted to drive his car on the way home from work, of course I said yes. It was an automatic so no problem.

A couple of days later I bought an old banger and drove myself the 10 miles or so to take a test, and get a license! Lol

The overconfidence of youth!

Had my first driving lessons with meadow head school of motoring, i think that was the name, in 1967 the cost was 10 shillings per hour in a triumph herald .Pasted in 1969 in a mini cooper s.

Middlewood School of motoring in the 70s.

Great guy, even if I have forgotten hiis name, used to live at Worrell.

Knew I supported United so always took me past Hillsborough Saturday afternoons about 5o'clock to see the long blue and white faces.

The chap was David Walker.

the wife took lessons and pasted with MOTADA of infirmary rd 1970s

Edited by choogling

I was taught by Keith Wainwright in the mid 70s. Still see him today on odd occasions.

Ex landlord of the Florist at Walkley.

I was taught by Keith Wainwright in the mid 70s. Still see him today on odd occasions.

Ex landlord of the Florist at Walkley.

I know Kieth well , good lad is Kieth .