Morissey - once brilliant, now revealed a total jackass..

I don't think artistic worth should be judged due to political beliefs.

Nobody is doing that.

Apart from a few naysayers on this thread, everyone is holding Morrissey's canon in very high esteem. What people are saying however is a) what a shame it is that this hero of ours now seems to be giving support to a far right political party and supporting a racist and violent coke dealing thug and b) should we continue to support him commercially by buying his records and attending his gigs?

Nobody is doing that.

Apart from a few naysayers on this thread, everyone is holding Morrissey's canon in very high esteem. What people are saying however is a) what a shame it is that this hero of ours now seems to be giving support to a far right political party and supporting a racist and violent coke dealing thug and b) should we continue to support him commercially by buying his records and attending his gigs?

Indeed. There's a line and it depends on how much you like the music defines where the line is. I'd rather gouge my eyes out than buy a Gary glitter album but I wasn't a fan anyway. Mozza, I've still got a smiths album (tape!) that I'd listen to but would I buy anything new? Probably not. Watch him live? No.

Nobody is doing that.

Indeed. There's a line and it depends on how much you like the music defines where the line is. I'd rather gouge my eyes out than buy a Gary glitter album but I wasn't a fan anyway. Mozza, I've still got a smiths album (tape!) that I'd listen to but would I buy anything new? Probably not. Watch him live? No.

I haven't followed it closely. I know he supported the campaign in relation to getting Robinson released, but is that really far right?

---------- Post added 05-07-2018 at 21:51 ----------

There's another one upsetting people..

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/04/terry-gilliam-on-diversity-bbc-monty-python-black-lesbian

I haven't followed it closely. I know he supported the campaign in relation to getting Robinson released, but is that really far right?

---------- Post added 05-07-2018 at 21:51 ----------

There's another one upsetting people..

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/04/terry-gilliam-on-diversity-bbc-monty-python-black-lesbian

I have always loved the Smiths and Morrissey and agreed with him on many of his controversial issues (for example, the torture and killings of animals for food, including religious torture rituals practised by various religions). However, he has gone too far with his support for Robinson. Robinson already had a suspended sentence and then broke the law again. He is an obnoxious, far right, racist, violent individual.

So yes, Morrissey has appeared to support the far right. I don't know if I would go to see him in concert again. I would probably not.

Well Robinson is a far right political hero, the campaign to release him is being led and orchestrated by the far right, most of those who attend the 'Free Tommy' demonstrations align themselves with the far right and Morrissey himself endorsed the far right 'For Britain' party, saying he'd vote for them if he lived in the UK.

So yes, I'd say really far right.

Well Robinson is a far right political hero, the campaign to release him is being led and orchestrated by the far right, most of those who attend the 'Free Tommy' demonstrations align themselves with the far right and Morrissey himself endorsed the far right 'For Britain' party, saying he'd vote for them if he lived in the UK.

I think Adolph Hitler was far right. It's like comparing Jeremy Corbyn to Stalin.

I have always loved the Smiths and Morrissey and agreed with him on many of his controversial issues (for example, the torture and killings of animals for food, including religious torture rituals practised by various religions). However, he has gone too far with his support for Robinson. Robinson already had a suspended sentence and then broke the law again. He is an obnoxious, far right, racist, violent individual.

I'd love to see him at an EDL rally and trying to get them all to become Vegan!

Morrissey: eating meat is the same as paedophilia

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/03/morrissey-eating-meat-paedophilia-smiths

But saying that....

'Senior member' of English Defence League jailed for sexually abusing 10-year-old girl

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/edl-english-defence-league-leigh-mcmillan-jailed-paedophile-old-bailey-a8231231.html

You wouldn't know the far right if they were sat in your living room, it's just a label bandied about by triggered leftists and the media, Tommy Robinson has a lot of working class sympathisers, like UKIP got a lot of working class voters, if the working class is going to be labelled as far right you have got bigger problems than you think !

You wouldn't know the far right if they were sat in your living room, it's just a label bandied about by triggered leftists and the media, Tommy Robinson has a lot of working class sympathisers, like UKIP got a lot of working class voters, if the working class is going to be labelled as far right you have got bigger problems than you think !

There will be far right mainstream MP's before long. It won't be because of Tommy Robinson it will be because of those opposed to him.

Can we keep this about Morrissey please?

Thank you.

I don't think artistic worth should be judged due to political beliefs. I'm sure there's plenty of people who we like listening to who have a shady past or different politics.

Totally agree with this. The Smiths music was and remains (albeit to a lesser extent as I get older) the soundtrack of my life. I don't like his politics, but that doesn't detract from his artistic achievement.

Where do you draw the line. Wagner, Degas, Ezra Pound and TS Eliot were all anti-semites - does that mean their work should be ignored? Caravaggio and Ben Johnson both killed people in duels, Flaubert paid for sex with boys, Lord Byron screwed his sister, Jean Genet was a thief.

Where do you draw the line on this moralising.

Morrissey - great music, but a bit of a **** generally.