Mysterious metal in internal walls

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help solve a mystery?

Been trying to put up shelves on internal walls in my 1880s build terraced house.

The pipe detector reads the entire wall as 30-50% metal.

We have tried drilling holes in several locations and keep hitting metal very shallow. Occasionally we get a normal bit, then an inch further over its metal again. It doesn't seem to fall in line with studs, it's just everywhere.

This has now been the case with two walls we've tried.

Has anyone got a clue what this could be? I don't know if we can drill through the metal or it could be hundreds of pipes!

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help solve a mystery?

Been trying to put up shelves on internal walls in my 1880s build terraced house.

The pipe detector reads the entire wall as 30-50% metal.

We have tried drilling holes in several locations and keep hitting metal very shallow. Occasionally we get a normal bit, then an inch further over its metal again. It doesn't seem to fall in line with studs, it's just everywhere.

This has now been the case with two walls we've tried.

Has anyone got a clue what this could be? I don't know if we can drill through the metal or it could be hundreds of pipes!

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

It's probably expanded metal plaster lath.

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure about lath, it feels really solid and sounds metallic when you tap it. Would lath be like that?

Thanks

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure about lath, it feels really solid and sounds metallic when you tap it. Would lath be like that?

Thanks

Like this.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Galvanised-Metal-Mesh-Lath-2500-x-700mm/p/104089?CAWELAID=120135120000007050&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=52608956304&CATCI=aud-305024815433:pla-326322351274&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqbaBRCOARIsAD9s1XCiVhVJZYYTdC2hkekKS34IhZ0NHT_vCCwbZa8UlJEwzJeoNDvA8YwaAvQ5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMvpxf6Gn9wCFQcX0wod6e0JQw

You might drill into it and hit metal or a gap.