A day aht ont’sharra ..

I’ve just been asked to accompany my grandson on his nursery school trip - it’s not tut’seaside, but it reminded me of all those childhood trips on sharras.

Does anyone still use the word “sharra” (aka sharrabang aka charabanc)?

If not, let’s ressurect it - it’s a shame to let our local dialect disappear.

One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow,

One man and his dog went to mow a meadow.

Two men went to mow....................................................

On the subject of 'Men mowing', in the early 80's Chelsea FC fans used to sing that but I didn't get the point, unless they changed the words.Well they were at the Leppings Lane end so maybe the sound drifted.

Our trip was a once a year event when all the residents of our street went on the trip for the day.

Law brothers coaches and off we all went it was the high light of the year. for many of us this was our annual holiday except maybe for the club trip from the local WMC.

Strangely everyone returned to undisturbed houses I wonder if this would happen today.

A-round the corner, ooo-ooh! Looking for Henry Lee ......................

She sat ‘neath the lilac and played her guitar .........

On Ilkley Moor ......

Guest makapaka
On the subject of 'Men mowing', in the early 80's Chelsea FC fans used to sing that but I didn't get the point, unless they changed the words.Well they were at the Leppings Lane end so maybe the sound drifted.

One man went to war, went to war at Millwall, one man and his baseball bat, went to war at Millwall ;)

Run rabbit run rabbit run run run.

Ten green bottles standing on the wall.

sing something simple.

My late mother never went by coach, it was always "on t'sharra" but I haven't heard sharra / chara for a long time now. I thought it might be a local Sheffield term but Chambers' Dictionary includes it with the "chara" spelling.

I'm sure we all have fond memories of trips by sharra to the seaside; it was often "the club trip from the local WMC" as broncolives wrote. I'll borrow a post I made on an old thread:

Oh the excitement.... Up at the crack of dawn, brief trip to the outside loo and a hearty bacon & egg breakfast, as mum tried her best to give us a good scrub and make us look respectable (or as near to respectable as possible for the Hillsborough equivalent of the Bash Street Kids). Then up to the Dial House Club to find our allocated Hirst & Sweeting or Law Brothers coach among the dozen or so that lined Far Lane. Soon on our way with 3s.6d spending money, a chocolate bar and a small bottle of S.Y.D.S. pop for the journey. Spotting car numbers as we headed eastwards via Wickersley, Maltby and Bawtry (train-spotters looking out for 60022 Mallard on the East Coast Main Line viaduct) and Gringley-on-the-Hill (lovely name!) to Caenby Corner. Then after a loo stop, on the road again via Caistor to CLEETHORPES !! A label attached to our lapels with the time and place of the return departure in case we got lost (but nobody did). A fish & chip dinner at Woolies (the Holly Bush Inn trip was a bit more select - 4s 6d spending money and dinner at Lyons Corner Café, but still fish & chips, with ice cream for afters). A ride on the dodgems, a paddle in the sea (if it wasn't a mile out as it usually was at Cleethorpes), candy floss, toffee apple and maybe a donkey ride. Dropping a stink bomb in the amusements and running off, or shaking the machine until the alarm rang (and running off...). Singing "One Man Went to Mow" on the coach coming home (or maybe "This Old Man, He Played One" or "There Was Three Jews from Jerusalem" etc.). If Skegness had been the destination, watching out for the stuffed bear outside the pub at Dunham as we went past. Mum and dad waiting for the bunch of tired kids when we got back. Wonderful.

Edited by hillsbro

My late mother never went by coach, it was always "on t'sharra" but I haven't heard sharra / chara for a long time now. I thought it might be a local Sheffield term but Chambers' Dictionary includes it.

I'm sure we all have fond memories of trips by sharra to the seaside; it was often "the club trip from the local WMC" as broncolives wrote. I'll borrow a post I made on an old thread:

Oh the excitement.... Up at the crack of dawn, brief trip to the outside loo and a hearty bacon & egg breakfast, as mum tried her best to give us a good scrub and make us look respectable (or as near to respectable as possible for the Hillsborough equivalent of the Bash Street Kids). Then up to the Dial House Club to find our allocated Hirst & Sweeting or Law Brothers coach among the dozen or so that lined Far Lane. Soon on our way with 3s.6d spending money, a chocolate bar and a small bottle of S.Y.D.S. pop for the journey. Spotting car numbers as we headed eastwards via Wickersley, Maltby and Bawtry (train-spotters looking out for 60022 Mallard on the East Coast Main Line viaduct) and Gringley-on-the-Hill (lovely name!) to Caenby Corner. Then after a loo stop, on the road again via Caistor to CLEETHORPES !! A label attached to our lapels with the time and place of the return departure in case we got lost (but nobody did). A fish & chip dinner at Woolies (the Holly Bush Inn trip was a bit more select - 4s 6d spending money and dinner at Lyons Corner Café, but still fish & chips, with ice cream for afters). A ride on the dodgems, a paddle in the sea (if it wasn't a mile out as it usually was at Cleethorpes), candy floss, toffee apple and maybe a donkey ride. Dropping a stink bomb in the amusements and running off, or shaking the machine until the alarm rang (and running off...). Singing "One Man Went to Mow" on the coach coming home (or maybe "This Old Man, He Played One" or "There Was Three Jews from Jerusalem" etc.). If Skegness had been the destination, watching out for the stuffed bear outside the pub at Dunham as we went past. Mum and dad waiting for the bunch of tired kids when we got back. Wonderful.

Can you see this Mr. H ?

---------- Post added 02-04-2018 at 01:43 ----------

In reply to Broncolives : I recall those 1950's WMC 'Sharra' trips to Cleethorpes in particular. After passing Tickhill and Bawtry I would admire the countryside and vast farm fields. We used to pass thro' a village in north Nottinghamshire called Everton of which I asked an old bloke on coach -he would be about 55- if it was anything to do with the famous football club, he replied 'Nay lad, they're from Liverpool but their reserve team play there'. A no-fact that stuck with me for along time. Then after Gainsbrough, on the left out of the Sharra window was RAF Hemswell by then a decommisioned airbase where they had filmed the 'Dam Busters' and I think shared it's bombing planes during WW2 with nearby RAF Scampton also in Lincolnshire. All this fun and it was only 10am and the Charbanc hadn't got to Cleethorpes yet !

My late mother never went by coach, it was always "on t'sharra" but I haven't heard sharra / chara for a long time now. I thought it might be a local Sheffield term but Chambers' Dictionary includes it.

Burnaby Street was ourstarting point queing around the inside of the club trying to get the first coach. Always SUT then try to get the driver to overtake any otheres to be first back. What great days they were.

I’ve just been asked to accompany my grandson on his nursery school trip - it’s not tut’seaside, but it reminded me of all those childhood trips on sharras.

Does anyone still use the word “sharra” (aka sharrabang aka charabanc)?

If not, let’s ressurect it - it’s a shame to let our local dialect disappear.

Hi from an Ex Heeley hi't, I've now lived longer on the African continent than I lived in the UK, but some of my Sheffield accent still remains. In my old age now, but memories of trips to Cleethorpes & Skeggy still remain, and the sing a long's on the Sharrabangs after leaving the Upper Heeley Working Men's Club. Great memories with honest and true friends.

Hi St Petre - I'd forgotten RAF Hemswell but of course you're right (if the sharra went to Bridlington we would pass RAF Driffield). On Cleethorpes trips I seem to remember that somewhere around Bramley or Maltby we would look out for the "secret factory" on the left - something to do with war work. And then there was Tickhill Castle. Memories!