Council restores gas streetlamps

There is an old gas streetlamp on Oakland Road in Hillsborough. Recently the top section disappeared and I assumed it was gone for good. Then last week I noticed the top was back again, completely restored with a working set of gas mantles inside.

The same thing has happened to another gaslamp between West Street and Devonshire Green.

Is this some revolution in the Council's thinking? Normally heritage is something they can't wait to be rid of.

There is an old gas streetlamp on Oakland Road in Hillsborough. Recently the top section disappeared and I assumed it was gone for good. Then last week I noticed the top was back again, completely restored with a working set of gas mantles inside.

The same thing has happened to another gaslamp between West Street and Devonshire Green.

Is this some revolution in the Council's thinking? Normally heritage is something they can't wait to be rid of.

Aren't they needed to burn off the excess sewer gases?

No, I've seen quite a few over the years that have been restored.

It's not Council money - they got a grant for it

No, they are not required to burn off sewer gas. The Webb's patent sewer gas destructor, worked on Town gas and created a draught to ventilate the sewers and prevent the build-up of methane. They have not been strictly necessary since the advent of the soil stack.

Whatever, it's nice to see them restored and equally nice to see that some will be running on gas. A little bit of street history they've not managed to demolished.

Are all of them still running on gas or are some LED?

Have they done the one on School Road ?

Some are gas, some are LED.

The one one on School Road has now been restored, but is not yet lit-up, from the pipework, looks like it will be gas, should look nice.

Edited by Elmambo
missing word