Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Ive noticed recently that they are overflowing the city centre and now flowing down Moor foot and London Road - can anything not be done about these people?

Ive noticed recently that they are overflowing the city centre and now flowing down Moor foot and London Road - can anything not be done about these people?

I've also seen a few sleeping at the amphitheatre below Hyde Park.

Two things would need to happen:

A concerted police effort (but police funding has been cut so much they don't have the resources)

Well meaning but unaware members of the public to stop giving people money. This would have the biggest impact.

A concerted police effort (but police funding has been cut so much they don't have the resources)

Well meaning but unaware members of the public to stop giving people money. This would have the biggest impact.

Does it take much effort though? We know where they are there just needs to be a targeted day each week to nip it in the bud and yes your right stop people giving money to beggars would finish the job.

Does it take much effort though? We know where they are there just needs to be a targeted day each week to nip it in the bud and yes your right stop people giving money to beggars would finish the job.

Given that a burglary doesn't always warrant a visit from the police now, I'd suggest it's the absolute least of their worries, sadly.

The city centre ambassadors could be put to better use though I think. I witnessed someone reporting open drug dealing to them, outside the cathedral, with what seemed to be a child distributing he drugs. They didn't even go over to look what was going on, and said "we'll have a look on our rounds", before going in the opposite direction!

What is their function? I'd assume it was this sort of thing, but clearly not. Do they have any powers?

Given that a burglary doesn't always warrant a visit from the police now, I'd suggest it's the absolute least of their worries, sadly.

The city centre ambassadors could be put to better use though I think. I witnessed someone reporting open drug dealing to them, outside the cathedral, with what seemed to be a child distributing he drugs. They didn't even go over to look what was going on, and said "we'll have a look on our rounds", before going in the opposite direction!

What is their function? I'd assume it was this sort of thing, but clearly not. Do they have any powers?

I dont think I've ever seen them do anything that really helps the centre. I suspect it would be a better to do away with all of them for as many dedicated police officers in the city centre that such a saving could afford.

They don't have any powers, they're civilian, so confronting drug dealers is definitely not within their remit.

They don't have any powers, they're civilian, so confronting drug dealers is definitely not within their remit.

Surely reporting it and 'passing it up the chain' so to speak is? Or at least documenting things?

What are their powers? I have no idea really.

And the iniquitous and unfair use of sanctions, cutting off people's benefits must also stop.

Rents still have to be paid or people are out on the street. Literally.

Edited by Anna B

And the iniquitous and unfair use of sanctions, cutting off people's benefits must also stop.

Rents still have to be paid or people are out on the street. Literally.

I think we're going round in circles here.

If you engage with the system, you will get housing benefit. You will be housed while you don't have work. If you are working and struggling to pay your rent, everything will be done to try and prevent you becoming homeless. In the unlikely event it DOES happen, you go to the council. They are duty bound to provide you with emergency accommodation.

There is the odd case where a problem may arise. It's rare. There is no need for anyone to be homeless, providing they engage with charities and the system that is in place (i.e. turn up to meetings and co-operate).

There are sanctions yes. There has been austerity and cutbacks. There is STILL a very good system in place to prevent homelessness. It's not perfect - but it is very good.

When someone gives money to a beggar they are giving them money for drugs or alcohol. That's it. That is the only place that money goes - other than the hands of any exploitative gang members, of which I can assure you there are also many operating in the city.

They myth that people are begging "for a hot drink and a warm bed" simply needs to be busted- yet nothing seems to be able to do this. There have been promotional campaigns, talks, awareness stands in the city centre...anything charities can think of. Still the message doesn't get through for some reason.

Why? I don't know.

Please don't be under any illusions though....giving money to beggars is doing nothing but furthering their decline.

If people want to do something - speak to them, direct them to charities (most will say "they do nothing for you there" or "they banned me" as a way to end the conversation), or buy a Big Issue. Be aware that drug addicts will happily say and do anything if it means getting the next fix - that's the insidious evil of addiction.

Until people stop giving, they will never choose to go down the route of getting support, or even acknowledging they have a problem.

Just watching 'Homeless and working' a Channel 4 Dispatches programme, (Monday 23rd July 8.0pm.) Even for me it's a n eyeopener.

According to this, 33,000 people in full time work are cirrently homeless, a 73% increase since 2013.

Most of them are in low paid work and many are in London although it's not exclusive to this area. And it is real homelessness where they are bunking down on the street.

So much for, 'It's their own fault - they should get a job!'

Anyone interested might want to watch it. As I said it's a real eye opener.

Just watching 'Homeless and working' a Channel 4 Dispatches programme, (Monday 23rd July 8.0pm.) Even for me it's a n eyeopener.

According to this, 33,000 people in full time work are cirrently homeless, a 73% increase since 2013.

Most of them are in low paid work and many are in London although it's not exclusive to this area. And it is real homelessness where they are bunking down on the street.

So much for, 'It's their own fault - they should get a job!'

Anyone interested might want to watch it. As I said it's a real eye opener.

It sounds like the usual channel 4 sensational documentary. I can't see why anyone in full time work at minimum wage wouldn't want to use some of that to rent a room. Even at London rates. I suppose there is a 'cost savings' argument...but that's a lifestlye choice.