Sheffield Forum
Your message here

The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-07-2018, 20:29   #1281
I1L2T3
Registered User
I1L2T3's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Abbey Lane, S8
Total Posts: 15,175
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
There is no pointing in pretending there is any integrity of the single market when labour rates are so much lower in Slovakia than they are in both Germany and the UK, which is why factories and manufacturing are moving to Slovakia and away from the UK and Germany.
At this point it’s worth reminding you about Raab and others’ views on employment rights and wage controls?

Let me know.
_______
Democracy lesson from Brexiters: The people have spoken, and must never speak again.
  Reply With Quote
21-07-2018, 20:39   #1282
ANGELFIRE1
Registered User
ANGELFIRE1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: S35
Total Posts: 5,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron99 View Post
I read today that Irish Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar is threatening that British airlines could be banned from flying over Irish airspace, (currently allowed under 'open skies' agreement), in the event of a no deal hard Brexit.

Fair enough but good luck to the Irish citizens trying to fly to mainland Europe without entering UK airspace, as a possible response. They're in for a long & additional costly trip Taoiseach!

Guinness talking I wonder?. Good luck trying to implement that one Leo.

Angel1
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
  Reply With Quote
21-07-2018, 20:51   #1283
Lockdoctor
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Total Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by I1L2T3 View Post
At this point it’s worth reminding you about Raab and others’ views on employment rights and wage controls?

Let me know.
Two wrongs don't make a right. The EU make a big deal about harmonisation within the single market, which is contradicted, when labour rates are not harmonised within the single market.
_______
Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
  Reply With Quote
21-07-2018, 21:19   #1284
altus
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Nether Edge
Total Posts: 4,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
There is no pointing in pretending there is any integrity of the single market when labour rates are so much lower in Slovakia than they are in both Germany and the UK, which is why factories and manufacturing are moving to Slovakia and away from the UK and Germany.
The logical extension of that reasoning is that we shouldn't do trade deals with any countries that have lower wages than the UK because it will encourage companies to setup/move production there rather than stay in the UK.
_______
Help your doctor prescribe the right drugs - sign up to alltrials.net
  Reply With Quote
21-07-2018, 21:56   #1285
melthebell
*gets coat*
melthebell's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Near whitby, originally from Sheffield
Total Posts: 58,456
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus View Post
The logical extension of that reasoning is that we shouldn't do trade deals with any countries that have lower wages than the UK because it will encourage companies to setup/move production there rather than stay in the UK.
ie:- most countries in the world..........till brexit, then we'll see lol
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
  Reply With Quote
21-07-2018, 22:20   #1286
tzijlstra
Registered User
tzijlstra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 12,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
Nothing has changed yet. However, things will change after the UK leave the EU. Why do you think the UK and the EU are negotiating about what will happen after the UK leave the EU? The fact is the UK will be able to allow free movement across the border from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland regardless of what the EU say.
No it wonít, a border is a bilateral agreement, you as a nationalist should understand this more than I do as a free market liberal. Try again.
  Reply With Quote
21-07-2018, 22:53   #1287
I1L2T3
Registered User
I1L2T3's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Abbey Lane, S8
Total Posts: 15,175
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. The EU make a big deal about harmonisation within the single market, which is contradicted, when labour rates are not harmonised within the single market.
So you donít agree with Raabís views? Thatís a start I guess.

The other thing is that you are assuming that the SM is a static system that requires trade with the U.K. to remain exactly like it does now.

That isnít the case. Itís dynamic.

Imagine that a million auto and aerospace jobs need to be relocated to the EU to avoid supply chain disruption. Slovakia could pick up thousands or maybe tens of thousands of those jobs. More work, more prosperity. New markets for groups like BMW and VW, with ranges and models adapted to suit. Repeat all across the EU.

The EU countries will adapt, and our loss will be their gain.
_______
Democracy lesson from Brexiters: The people have spoken, and must never speak again.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 00:49   #1288
El Cid
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Wakefield
Total Posts: 8,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
The fact is the UK will be able to allow free movement across the border from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland regardless of what the EU say.
One of peoples top reasons for voting to leave the EU is immigration, why would the UK have an open door to allow free immigration; not to mention the terrorist aspect.
In July 2017, it was reported that British authorities had stripped some 150 suspected criminals with dual citizenship of their British passport, to prevent them from returning to the UK.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 01:00   #1289
mafya
Registered User
mafya's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: on one of the 7 hills of sheffield
Total Posts: 8,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
One of peoples top reasons for voting to leave the EU is immigration, why would the UK have an open door to allow free immigration; not to mention the terrorist aspect.
In July 2017, it was reported that British authorities had stripped some 150 suspected criminals with dual citizenship of their British passport, to prevent them from returning to the UK.
my bold=
Uncontrolled immigration was a reason some voted to leave the EU.
Dual nationals getting stripped of their British citizenship is irrelevant to Brexit....
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 07:59   #1290
Lockdoctor
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Total Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus View Post
The logical extension of that reasoning is that we shouldn't do trade deals with any countries that have lower wages than the UK because it will encourage companies to setup/move production there rather than stay in the UK.
It's more logical for the UK to be free to negotiate its own trade arrangements and free to impose tariffs, if a situation arises such as production being moved to a foreign country. President Trump has threatened to put tariffs on vehicles and parts manufactured in Mexico to protect jobs in the USA.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 08:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
One of peoples top reasons for voting to leave the EU is immigration, why would the UK have an open door to allow free immigration; not to mention the terrorist aspect.
In July 2017, it was reported that British authorities had stripped some 150 suspected criminals with dual citizenship of their British passport, to prevent them from returning to the UK.
I haven't suggested the UK have an open door immigration policy. Allowing free movement to continue across the Irish border is not an open door immigration policy.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 08:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzijlstra View Post
No it wonít, a border is a bilateral agreement, you as a nationalist should understand this more than I do as a free market liberal. Try again.
You don't seem understand that the UK can refuse to enforce a hard Irish border, if no Brexit deal is agreed with the EU. We all know that a border arrangement between two countries is normally a bilateral agreement. Why are you calling me a nationalist, when I voted for the UK to remain in the EU?
_______
Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 08:27   #1291
SnailyBoy
Registered User
SnailyBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Total Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
You don't seem understand that the UK can refuse to enforce a hard Irish border, if no Brexit deal is agreed with the EU. We all know that a border arrangement between two countries is normally a bilateral agreement. Why are you calling me a nationalist, when I voted for the UK to remain in the EU?
I hate to break this to you, but I don't think anyone really buys that.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 08:27   #1292
tzijlstra
Registered User
tzijlstra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Hillsborough
Total Posts: 12,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
It's more logical for the UK to be free to negotiate its own trade arrangements and free to impose tariffs, if a situation arises such as production being moved to a foreign country. President Trump has threatened to put tariffs on vehicles and parts manufactured in Mexico to protect jobs in the USA.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 08:00 ----------


I haven't suggested the UK have an open door immigration policy. Allowing free movement to continue across the Irish border is not an open door immigration policy.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 08:02 ----------


You don't seem understand that the UK can refuse to enforce a hard Irish border, if no Brexit deal is agreed with the EU. We all know that a border arrangement between two countries is normally a bilateral agreement. Why are you calling me a nationalist, when I voted for the UK to remain in the EU?
The UK can choose whatever it likes, the map of Ireland has a pencilled drawer that will come into effect upon Brexit, enforced or not. Whether it is purely in legal terms or not is completely irrelevant.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 10:17   #1293
andyofborg
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: unimatrix 45
Total Posts: 9,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
It's more logical for the UK to be free to negotiate its own trade arrangements and free to impose tariffs, if a situation arises such as production being moved to a foreign country. President Trump has threatened to put tariffs on vehicles and parts manufactured in Mexico to protect jobs in the USA.
but doesn't that undermine the idea of free trade which what this whole mess was supposed to be about?
_______
Very funny Scotty, now beam down the uniform
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 10:26   #1294
davyboy
Registered User
davyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: kent
Total Posts: 3,676
Ireland south to north and vice versa will be a smugglers paradise.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 10:28   #1295
I1L2T3
Registered User
I1L2T3's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Abbey Lane, S8
Total Posts: 15,175
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyofborg View Post
but doesn't that undermine the idea of free trade which what this whole mess was supposed to be about?
Itís not about free trade any more.

Itís not even about ideology any more.

Itís about disaster capitalism. 1 million fewer jobs. 8% drop in GDP. Assets to be stripped. Fortunes to be made.

Itís about destabilising the West. Doing Putinís work.
_______
Democracy lesson from Brexiters: The people have spoken, and must never speak again.
  Reply With Quote
Yesterday, 13:26   #1296
Top Cats Hat
Registered User
Top Cats Hat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Total Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post

You need to read posts properly and also read the posts quoted properly. The poster mentioned Republican paramilitaries organising civil disorder and I pointed out, that if that did happen, then the UK authorities would have to take action to stop the civil disorder. .
You are funny!

You can't start a post by telling people to read posts properly and then immediately misquote a post!

You are the comedy poster! lol
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:58.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018