Why is it so hard to get a doctors appointment?

The last time I phoned the doctors for an appointment it was a wednesday afternoon and I was told they were full for that week could I phone back on monday morning.

I didn't, I went to the chemist instead.

Yesterday I phoned to ask if the doctor would countersign a passport application and The receptionist said I would need to make an appointment to see him and there was a charge of £15.

Shouldn't these appointments be for sick people?

Dave..

It's a Government thang:(

The last time I phoned the doctors for an appointment it was a wednesday afternoon and I was told they were full for that week could I phone back on monday morning.

Yesterday I phoned to ask if the doctor would countersign a passport application and The receptionist said I would need to make an appointment to see him and there was a charge of £15.

Dave..

Well Dave, the fact that a humble chemist was able to sort you out kind of proves that the receptionist was doing a good job in putting you off going to see the doctor and wasting his time. As far as the fee is concerned, that's intended to put you off wasting time too. Why ask a doctor anyway? There must be plenty of other people of equal standing in society who could vouch for you, surely? Any professional person who has known you for a sufficient time will do: a teacher, police officer, a chemist for that matter. The list given on the form is not exhaustive.

Might be worth paying a visit to a few different surgeries in the area and seeing if they can offer you a better service.

Any professional person who has known you for a sufficient time will do: a teacher, police officer, a chemist for that matter.

How many law abiding adults know a teacher or a policeman?

Ah yes, teachers, those well known consorts of the criminal fraternity!

Just about anyone with a job can sign a passport as long as they exist.

If I can do it then it can't be that strict!

Dave..

How long ago was the first incident?

They are supposedly obliged to see you within 2 days now...

As to signing your passport, is the doctor the best you could do?

professional covers many different vocations. Maybe I'm unusual, but I know 2 teachers and 2 policeman who are not family, and multiple engineers and developers (who I would hazard a guess at being professionals).

As for the passport application I'm sure that Civil Servants can also sign, and theres thousands of them in Sheff.

Dave..

Its the same at our surgery, you wait ages to talk to a receptionist coz they are busy writing what they need from the Avon catalogue, then you ask for an appointment and the next one is 6 days away, unless you ring in before surgery starts and someone may have cancelled.

Well Dave, the fact that a humble chemist was able to sort you out kind of proves that the receptionist was doing a good job in putting you off going to see the doctor and wasting his time. As far as the fee is concerned, that's intended to put you off wasting time too. Why ask a doctor anyway? There must be plenty of other people of equal standing in society who could vouch for you, surely? Any professional person who has known you for a sufficient time will do: a teacher, police officer, a chemist for that matter. The list given on the form is not exhaustive.

Humble chemist!!!oh well I'll let the chemists answer that one.

I didn't ask the chemists advice I just bought cream, it didn't work and ended up at docs, it is quite serious, and no I don't know any professional people, I do know a policeman but he doesn't have a passport and so I can't use him.

You have totally missed the point of my post, I used my experience to show how hard it is to get an appointment, the point is should doctors be doing something in surgery time that is non medical when there are people needing his time for an illness.sorry if you misunderstood me, it is nothing to do with the passport

Dave..