Auction property with Tenants in situ.

If a property is sold at auction stating tenant just signed a six or twelve month AST contract, is the new landlord obliged to honour this contract?

Generally, yes.

Absolutely yes. The new Landlord steps into the shoes of the old Landlord. Be careful, there are other gotchas.

Absolutely yes. The new Landlord steps into the shoes of the old Landlord. Be careful, there are other gotchas.

Yes. T is a sitting tenant and, in technical parlance, a person in actual occupation.

His/her rights therefore continue largely unaffected.

Yes. T is a sitting tenant and, in technical parlance, a person in actual occupation.

His/her rights therefore continue largely unaffected.

I am surprised at this because apart from The 1977 Rent Act and the 1988 Assured tenants, who both have far more rights as protected tenants, I thought a contract between the old landlord and tenant would automatically expire when the new landlord purchases the property. Could new landlord not say to tenant, but that contract was between you and previous landlord, nothing to do with me?

No.

Your surprise is very surprising. What protection does a Tenant have in this view of the world?

But as stated in the 1977 & 1988 Acts, tenants are protected by law. But I am talking about 6 or 12 month shorthold tenancies whose landlord has decided to sell up. That is not a common situation.

Doesn't matter [how common you think it is]. The facts haven't changed.

But as stated in the 1977 & 1988 Acts, tenants are protected by law. But I am talking about 6 or 12 month shorthold tenancies whose landlord has decided to sell up. That is not a common situation.

But the Assured Shorthold Tenancies you describe were introduced by the 1988 Act, so if the 1988 Act gives the tenant protection then the protection applies to Assured Shorthold Tenants.

But the Assured Shorthold Tenancies you describe were introduced by the 1988 Act, so if the 1988 Act gives the tenant protection then the protection applies to Assured Shorthold Tenants.

Maybe, but unlike the Assured tenancy, it has limited security of tenure. This is why I was under the impression that an incoming landlord could claim the old tenancy agreement between old landlord and tenant doesn't have to be honoured, as it's nothing to do with new landlord as he didn't make the contract.

ALL 1988 residential lettings are 'Assured Tenancies'.

Some are ASTs; s.21 applies to them.

Others aren't and these are generally called 'Standard Assured Tenancies'.

A let property can be sold subject to a continuing tenancy.

The concept is largely the same as a freehold reversion being sold subject to an existing long leasehold.

This is why I was under the impression that an incoming landlord could claim the old tenancy agreement between old landlord and tenant doesn't have to be honoured, as it's nothing to do with new landlord as he didn't make the contract.

This is the impression that is most definitely incorrect.