House sale query

Hi. Does anyone know how to market a house without going through estate agents and paying extortionate fees? Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

Just put "market a house without going through estate agents" into Google (you can even copy and paste from your own query). You'd be amazed at the results.

There's [can be] a weird side-effect to an attempt to save money in this way. It applies to the low-cost Agents too, like Purple Bricks. When you see a house marketed by, say, Purple Bricks you don't think "wow, that Vendor has got his head screwed on, trying to save that unnecessary spend" and you certainly don't think "excellent, that Vendor is saving money on the Agent, therefore that means it'll be cheaper for me (the Buyer)"... what you actually think is "hmm, this Vendor is cheap, probably everything in that house has been done cheaply too"... and, because you're the one lumbered with it, it can put you off, as a Buyer.

It's obviously not right, and the Purple Bricks advertising campaign is trying to make the people who use the traditional Agents appear bemused by life and somewhat silly - the Purple Bricks customers being very savvy. I applaud it. However... do be careful on that front.

It might be worth getting a few Agents around to value your house and give you a price. There's always negotiation to be done... and once they've wasted some time with you, I think that becomes all the more likely. It is effectively money for old rope for them - so whether it's 2%, 1% or 0.5% it's all money... and, don't get me wrong, they can provide some value. I'm not saying you get in Hunters Exclusive or ELR for a little terrace - just that the DIY approach can also backfire.

Many years ago we sold our house and did our own conveyancing using the book Bradshaw’s Guide to DIY House Selling and Conveyancing. We made a for sale sign and stuck it in the front garden. We also advertised it ourselves. We sold it very quickly.

People frequently move within their home town and know exactly where they want to live. If your home is in a good location and you are not in a rush to move, maybe you should give it a go, at least for a little while.

It would be useful to research advertising it on the Internet since for many people it is the first port of call when looking to buy a home. We didn’t have the Internet in our day so don’t know how you would go about that.

just a heads up. you cannot put it on right-move if you are doing it your self, only businesses can use such things as that. not being on those websites cuts your potential buyers down considerably. good luck

just a heads up. you cannot put it on right-move if you are doing it your self, only businesses can use such things as that. not being on those websites cuts your potential buyers down considerably. good luck

Have they changed policy??

I remember reading about someone who'd got it listed by themselves.

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 15:17 ----------

what you actually think is "hmm, this Vendor is cheap, probably everything in that house has been done cheaply too"

If you look at enough places you start to get that idea about most of Yorkshire though :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Personally a bad advert is much more of a put-off than the choice of estate agent.

A decent ad with plenty of pictures and a floorplan grabs my attention.

A bad one with a couple of pictures and a brief description generally leaves you thinking "Do I bother??", and unless it looks special you pass.

Edited by geared