Bin collections in the snow...

So today the bin men came down our road. The advice from veolia on twitter was to not put the bins out if it wasnt safe, and that the bin men would also not be working if it wasn't safe.

However, I heard them this morning shouting all the numbers they couldnt collect, as in every single house on this side of the road. We have steep steps to get the bins up and heeding the advice I didnt take them up because it wasn't safe. There was snow on the steps, as clearing it would have resulted in ice (and I dont have a shovel, and since the steps are blocked couldnt have gone and got one.

The bin men told me they weren't coming back, but weren't even doing the ones they usually have to come down for either because they didnt deem it safe.

I rang veolia and they said I should have taken them up and because i didnt present my bin, then I hve to wait 2 weeks, despite it not being any of our fault that we were not expecting the bin men to make it today with the dangerous weather.

anyone got any idea where i can complain to, because trying to wait 2 more weeks for a black bin collection is impossible.

Blame the weatherman?

So today the bin men came down our road. The advice from veolia on twitter was to not put the bins out if it wasnt safe, and that the bin men would also not be working if it wasn't safe.

However, I heard them this morning shouting all the numbers they couldnt collect, as in every single house on this side of the road. We have steep steps to get the bins up and heeding the advice I didnt take them up because it wasn't safe. There was snow on the steps, as clearing it would have resulted in ice (and I dont have a shovel, and since the steps are blocked couldnt have gone and got one.

The bin men told me they weren't coming back, but weren't even doing the ones they usually have to come down for either because they didnt deem it safe.

I rang veolia and they said I should have taken them up and because i didnt present my bin, then I hve to wait 2 weeks, despite it not being any of our fault that we were not expecting the bin men to make it today with the dangerous weather.

anyone got any idea where i can complain to, because trying to wait 2 more weeks for a black bin collection is impossible.

Don't have a shovel??? I clear my path (It has a bit of a slope) and then put salt down, never iced up yet.

Take note of the OPers user name

Veolia put on twitter to put bins out as normal and leave until collected, mines been out days and still not collected but its stopping there until it is. If i hadnt bothered putting it out and they had come i would consider it my fault and no-one else to blame.

I cant see what there is to complain about. you didnt put the bin out on the allotted day and it wasnt collected

There, there - It'll all be forgotten about by June despite the obviously unprecedented hardship being suffered right now.

Or the sun might not come up in the morning and it reaaly IS the end of the world.

One of the two options

Borrow a shovel then dig yourself out if you can't walk through it. Then go and buy yourself one so you're prepared for next time.

I don't understand why you can't walk up steps with a bit of snow on???

So today the bin men came down our road.....

I sympathise. If you acted on Veolia's own advice and you are being disadvantaged because of it, then that is simply wrong.

---------- Post added 06-03-2018 at 11:48 ----------

Are we allowed to put additional rubbish out if our usual service has been missed?

Rotherham bin men came down our road this morning and collected what they couldn't last week....well done RMBC..binnies...:D

They can hardly say 'you must put your bins out regardless of how dangerously slippy it is as we really want little old ladies to fall over, and we'll be sending the bin men out even if there's sheet ice or 3 foot of snow on the roads'

They err'd on the side of caution with the message in case they couldn't send the lorries out, but obviously decided to send them out after it seemed ok. You chose not to put your bin out, chalk it up to experience.

If you have too much waste, take it to the dumpit site.