Fridge disposal

Hello everybody!

Anyone know where I can take the old fridge freezer that is presently in the back of my pick up? I'm told I can't take it to a dump it site and I have to book in as well cos I've got what they class as an industrial vehicle. Don't mind a small charge but I am vehemently against stinky fly tippers and all this runaround is making me understand why! In Spain you just leave things like this next to the bin, so why is my £100 a month Council Tax not helping? :loopy:

I put mine on ebay as spares or repairs - got £20 for it!!

If it's in working order the British Heart Foundation will collect for free

Ring the council on 2734567 they collect them free of charge. They just ask you to leave it outside your property, taped up so kids can't get into it and they collect it usually within 3-5 working days!

Leave it outside your house and the scrap man will take it before you get back inside!!!!

Ring the council on 2734567 they collect them free of charge. They just ask you to leave it outside your property, taped up so kids can't get into it and they collect it usually within 3-5 working days!

Only if your a tennant.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 15:54 ----------

Leave it outside your house and the scrap man will take it before you get back inside!!!!

Best not to encourage them, they will also no doubt illegally release the very dangerous gasses into the environment, strip out the metal then fly tip the rest, which, if traced back to you could land you a hefty fly tipping fine.

Only if your a tennant.

---------- Post added 06-08-2013 at 15:54 ----------

Best not to encourage them, they will also no doubt illegally release the very dangerous gasses into the environment, strip out the metal then fly tip the rest, which, if traced back to you could land you a hefty fly tipping fine.

Yes, good point. It costs extra to have items de gassed, not all scrap places are licenced to accept these items but that doesn't stop some of them. :roll: You should have got the retailer to take it when they delivered the new one.

I took my old fridge taken to Shirecliffe Recycling centre this morning where one of their chaps helped me remove if from the car and then brought a sack barrow to take it away for me.

Very impressed with the help I got there

I took my old fridge taken to Shirecliffe Recycling centre this morning where one of their chaps helped me remove if from the car and then brought a sack barrow to take it away for me.

Very impressed with the help I got there

I've taken all sorts of stuff there and always found them very helpful. The key bit is having the right vehicle in the first place. The queues are a problem but can often be avoided if you avoid certain times.

You may find that they just extract the compressor, gently using a sledge hammer, and leave the shell.

best ring council to take it away or get a friend to put it in there car and take it to the tip

The OP states he has an industrial vehicle so what s/he will have to do is apply for a free permit, or up to 12 if it's the only vehicle in the household.

Details here: Veolia

Edit: just noticed that this thread is 5 years old but the above still applies.