Cultural appropriation, a complete non-issue?

Is cultural appropriation even a thing?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is cultural appropriation even a thing?

• Yes, it's justified to call people out for it
    • No, not really it's fine to emulate other cultures
    • Other (please explain in post)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44829766

Arguably one of Hollywood's biggest stars has received criticism for playing the role of a trans man and subsequently left the production. Much of the criticism is from the LGBT community who feel that the role should have been given to a trans person instead of a 'cis' actor.

SJ also suffered criticism for starring in Ghost in the Shell as she isn't Asian.

Should the studios take the gamble of not hiring well known faces and giving the roles to the 'correct' people? Or is it all getting a bit silly with the entertainment industry becoming politicised to this extent? Considering there are calls for James Bond to eventually be played by a female because of gender equality, why can't a cis-gendered, binary person play a trans person?

Stephen Fry played Oscar Wilde - could a heterosexual man have played him?

Casting a white person as an asian character makes less sense than the role she's just pulled out of.

Casting a white person as an asian character makes less sense than the role she's just pulled out of.

But we can have a black or female James Bond?

Not saying that's wrong, just trying to find the line.

Also, in a lot of Japanese anime, many of the characters don't have typical 'Asian' characteristics. I've not seen the original anime of Ghost in the Shell, but having recently gotten in to Tokyo Ghoul, Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist, almost all of the characters have westernised features. So, this being the case, I don't see how SJ could have come under such criticism for her live-action portrayal.

Edited by leviathan13

But we can have a black or female James Bond?

Not sayimg that's wrong, just trying to find the line.

For me...

Female James Bond, no, just no, is James a girl's name?

Black James Bond, maybe, but feels to me like he should be a white dude.

Here's one back at ya...

If they made more Black Panther movies, can we eventually have a white Black Panther?

This reminds me of Dark Tower movie based on Stephen King's books. Main character played by Idris Elba. Great actor but casting him changed the story angle.

For me...

Here's one back at ya...

If they made more Black Panther movies, can we eventually have a white Black Panther?

a black JAMES BOND no way!! how would that work judging by when the original stories were written timewise, Bond is the quintessential english secret agent and at the time very few blacks were in the country never mind the secret service.

now maybe you could have a love child of the original bond? which was from one of his many dalliances with various foreign agents? who follows in his fathers footsteps as 008?

There are black people who are ‘quintessentially English’. Two examples: Sir Trevor McDonald, Floella Benjamin, OBE.

As for cultural appropriation, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

For me...

Here's one back at ya...

I'd say no, because someone would claim 'white privelege' at a white actor stopping a black actor taking the part. It's fine if black actors take a part that has been historically white, but the other way round is racism.

For example, the film 'White Chicks' - two black actors, in effect, 'white-up' and that's fine. Yet, the other way is seen as racist and something from a bygone era.

In Thor, Idris Elba was playing a mythical Norse character. 2000 years ago, I would have thought that all Norse gods would have been a representation of their followers. How would we go having a white person playing Mohammed in a film about Islam?

I know we've had white people playing Jesus, despite the area of the world he would have come from, but try telling the older generation of Christians that he would have had darker skin and hair and you'll be shouted down.

Edited by leviathan13

a black JAMES BOND no way!! how would that work judging by when the original stories were written timewise, Bond is the quintessential english secret agent and at the time very few blacks were in the country never mind the secret service.

now maybe you could have a love child of the original bond? which was from one of his many dalliances with various foreign agents? who follows in his fathers footsteps as 008?

The back story of James Bond has clearly been defined. Father, Scottish aristocracy & his mother is Swiss aristocracy.

Clearly any actor who lands the role of Bond ends up high profile & I believe that this is the main reason for wanting a black actor / woman to play the role. Just jumping on the Bond franchise bandwagon.

We're often told that there are many talented black actors, directors, writers & similarly talented women. Well come up with a few new original ideas, plots & storylines.

---------- Post added 17-07-2018 at 12:41 ----------

There are black people who are ‘quintessentially English’. Two examples: Sir Trevor McDonald, Floella Benjamin, OBE.

As for cultural appropriation, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Don’t forget Chris Eubank. Makes Prince Charles sound common.

The term is becoming more and more popular in news and social media, with more and more people being accused of it, but does it really deserve the demonisation it's getting?

The most common use seems to be against celebrities who wear clothing and fashion accessories originating from or influenced by other cultures, supposedly not knowing or understanding their origins. As long as there's no justified offence caused (i.e, wearing a swastika covered dress because you like the pattern), then what's actually so bad?

Another example is the ever popular male Caucasian students' hair option of wearing dreadlocks. My personal opinion is that it looks ridiculous, but should it cause offence?

Funnily enough, when I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the example you give in the last paragraph. If I’m honest it probably does offend me. Poseurs in general offend me. Too «* look at me*» and vain, in a white, middle class, trendy sort of way

---------- Post added 17-07-2018 at 12:45 ----------

Frank Bruno is also «* quintessentially «* English, he’s true to his class roots. Not sure about the other two you’ve named.

I was talking about the era the book was written:roll:

Weren't quite a lot of the books set in Jamaica and around the Carribean?

I think there might have been one or two blacks around then.

In any case, James Bond (the film franchise) is being continually reset to be current, so anyone could be Bond.

(Indeed, some of the more fanciful theories contend that "James Bond" is a code name, and 007 is simply someone playing that role)