Old record shops

My sister worked in the record shop in the basement of Banners and I can remember standing in the booths next to the lift listening to all the records back in the early 60s

She had 'very high' back combed auburn hair

My sister worked in the record shop in the basement of Banners and I can remember standing in the booths next to the lift listening to all the records back in the early 60s

She had 'very high' back combed auburn hair

Hi janebquick,

I had a Saturday job at Banners in Attercliffe, 1960/2. Could well have been working in 'menswear' upstairs whilst you were listening to the records :) Met my late first wife, Margaret Johnson, there. She was on 'children's clothing'.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

If I could borrow a TARDIS I would love to go back and film these lost record stores....What a day of filming that would make!!!!

I guess modern record shops are light years away from these old emporiums?

I used to supply most of these shops back in the 70s/80s, brilliant days. There is a really good site called britishrecordshoparchive.org well worth a look.

Violet Mays?

Isn't that where they used to make records out of ashtrays ;)

Violet May moved into 30 Broad Street after Waddilove and Co.(Plumbers) moved out.They had been in those premises since 1885.

I'd forgotten about Curtis's.

It's lovely to remember sitting on the bench in Pecks listening to a record (maybe a whole side) and then asking to buy a 'fresh' one :-)

For some reason I felt Bradleys and Wilson Peck's were the more friendly record shops.

It was only when Rare & Racy opened its doors and started selling second-hand records that the world really opened up, though...I remember getting some albums by some of the old Bluesmen there, having seen them supporting British acts at the City Hall. Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee and others...

Yes Curtis's, used to be on Angel Street next to the ABC cinema. They had at least one more store, perhaps on the Moor ?

Edited by St Petre
Spell

Old record shops

Could this Young lady have been a former shop-assistant at Curtis’s on Angel Street?

I am sure that there was one on the right hand side of Dixon Lane as you were going downhill. I'd always thought it was Canns but aparently not. I know someone will know.

you are right,it was phillip cann the music man first record i bought there was kay starr wheel of fortune, thats a long time ago.

Cannes on Dixon lane were the first to have sterio listening booths, and then Boots on Fargate had them downstairs.

Both in the mid 50s

stereo didn't become popular/widespread until the mid sixties, even the Beatles first records were in mono.

My dad used to own the record shop next to the Leadmill when it first opened. It was called Rat Records and his name was Nick. He later opened another one on Abbeydale Road called Tangerine Records. I used to love hanging out at Rat Records when I was a kid and being the boss's son lol 😂