Garden Pond Megathread All Garden Pond Threads Here

Thanks Wilman. I don’t mind clearing out the Algae, but how do you it? I’ve tried the large fishing net which the owners left behind but the Algae just goes through it!-any ideas?

A fine net or improvising as a Yorkshireman would, use a pair of tights or stocking.

Stretch over the fishing net head(loop) and scoop up as before. (looks a bit like a windsock when constructed)

Thanks again. Is the Algae actually harmful to the fish ?

Only in so much that it deprives them of oxygen i think,if it gets too thick you'll see the fish coming to the top for air more and more.

Thanks once more-I’ll have a go at getting rid of most of it. Oxygen shouldn’t really be a problem as there’s a large filter attached to the pond plus a solar powered bubbler. Cheers

Thanks once more-I’ll have a go at getting rid of most of it. Oxygen shouldn’t really be a problem as there’s a large filter attached to the pond plus a solar powered bubbler. Cheers

If the filter system is UV. It is necessary to change the bulb every year, I have had to add a second UV. Filter in my system to cope, my pond is 12ft x 8ft and 4ft at deepest. The water should circulate frequently. Proprietary additives work very well short term but the only real answer is to have a pump and filer system balanced to the pond size.

Does anyone know what I need to fill a pond in , I am disabled so it needs filling in.Ihave got rid of all the fish have to get rid of it because my husband used to look after it but he died and I cant manage it.ijust need to know what to fill it up with so I can turf over top

Clare

Does anyone know what I need to fill a pond in , I am disabled so it needs filling in.Ihave got rid of all the fish have to get rid of it because my husband used to look after it but he died and I cant manage it.ijust need to know what to fill it up with so I can turf over top

Clare

I would guess that you would have to get someone to take out the liner, fill it with rubble and top it off with a few inches of soil , then turf

Clarenandy - we removed a pond by doing what hackey lad suggested. We took out the liner, pump etc and filled the hole in with hardcore. Had a good layer of top soil spread over and turfed the area. It was a lot of heavy, dirty work though.

If you are going to get someone in to do the work, consider leaving it until the end of the season. They perhaps won’t be so busy and you might get a better price. Also, as you want a lawn, you need to leave at least that part of it until September/October. Now is not the time to be laying turf unless you can water it thoroughly on a regular basis.

Edited by Jomie

On 21/05/2018 at 17:58, willman said:

There are numerous options.

Yes i'd personally clean out the algae or add some algae remover, and then add an additive that sends the pond water blue(can't remember its name). Its not always 100% but it helps.

Other ways are UV filters in the filter box - an additional filter box as well.

Some plants do help,lilies cover the surface in the summer and stop the UV.

Thanks for your help last year. I’m thinking of getting a new pressure filter (possibly larger). Do I have to put anything in it to speed up the biological filtering process?  Many thanks. 

Advice please on the most suitable fish for an outdoor pond, low temperatures an obvious consideration !

koi/goldfish/tench /strugeon