Russian spies in the sixties

There is something else. Please allow for the passage of time and my recollection of what I was told so many years ago.

The Police Officer who interviewed Prager told me that from his point of view Prager was difficult to get an admission from due to the fact that he was a committed believer in what he was doing. In my friends experience he was used to dealing with people who new what they were doing was wrong. He felt their was a definite difference.

In those days interviews were not recorded and I do not believe Prager ever had a solicitor present. Therefore a great deal of pressure could be put on him, eventually he confessed, probably because the evidence was strong anyway and a deal as offered to him that, after the Police got what they wanted, the deal was withdrawn.

In effect he was conned.

Mrs Prager was implicated and always blamed her husband for their predicament.

Thats my recollection.

Thanks again, Ted. It's all very confusing, isn't it? I've just read Spycatcher and it's clear that they were never completely clear about a lot of people and events. For instance Wright was convinced that Sir Roger Hollis, DG of MI5, was a mole, but was never able to prove it other than with circumstancial evidence.

Anyway, I just want the Pragers to be very minor characters, possibly without actually naming them, in my current novel. I probably have enough now, but any more is all grist to the mill.

You could order a copy of this. Security threats: espionage and sabotage; Nicholas Anthony Pragerhttp://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11131096

Yes, thanks, I did find that. But you have to pay to find out if it's possible to get a copy and then if so you don't know how much that will cost. I'll bear it in mind, though, in case I decide I need more info.

She went to live in Eastern Europe after her husband died. I cant remember the town but its in Slovakia.

She held the rank of Major in their armed services.

No she didn't. :hihi::hihi: I read some of this thread with great interest, some of the mis-information is hilarious..The Prager legacy lives on...:love:

Come on then Minimarsh give us your tale of all this intrigue

Sorry to reboot an old topic but.... we moved to our house in Bawtry 17 years ago and our neighbours used to tell us tales about the Pragers living here and a big white tent being put over the house following there arrest but we never really paid much attention to it! We have just sold our house and I was going through the old deeds and paperwork and low and behold there it is.. Nicholas Anthony Prager, Jarmila Ludmila Prager in 1960 ! Should of paid more attention to the neighbours and read the paperwork when we first bought the house

Have been trying to get some information about this case but there seems little on the web. Has anyone managed to get the details?

After finding the deeds and mortgage papers with their names on I did a little digging but like you say apart from the basics there is very little about them. When I have more time ( not in the middle of moving !) I will try again.

An earlier thread about the Pragers by Ballista,mentions Albert Hattersley the prolific safe cracker from Sheffield and that he had some connection with Prager to do with the cracking of a safe owned by a Rupert Smedley? Does anyone know who Rupert Smedley was?

On 24/03/2016 at 14:53, PaulineR said:

Thanks again, Ted. It's all very confusing, isn't it? I've just read Spycatcher and it's clear that they were never completely clear about a lot of people and events. For instance Wright was convinced that Sir Roger Hollis, DG of MI5, was a mole, but was never able to prove it other than with circumstancial evidence.

Anyway, I just want the Pragers to be very minor characters, possibly without actually naming them, in my current novel. I probably have enough now, but any more is all grist to the mill.

I knew them when I was young 16 - 17 I was friends with their daughters (I won't say their names just in case) 2 daughters and one younger son.  My friend and I used to visit them.  We loved going 'round there because - being young lads off the council estate - they seemed so much more cultured than most of the people in the are.  We liked them very much - always kind and welcoming.  Also, if I remember correctly, their house was watched for quite some time  by security services.  They watched from across the road in a neighbours house  who was a good friend of the Pragers.  They made her sign the official secrets act doc.  According to rumour she later had a nervous breakdown because of the strain and conflicting  loyalties. I don't have details - just what was going around at the time.  I think everyone found it very distressing  - the kids (who went to the Grammar School) disappeared one day and were never seen of again.   Reading this thread, I find it quite intriguing that I may have been investigated by security services.  J