Lloyds Bank (Banner Cross) closed

Yes, another one gone. The entire fascia has been wiped out. There's just a window notice telling us that the 'nearest' branch is at Moorfoot.

Yes, another one gone. The entire fascia has been wiped out. There's just a window notice telling us that the 'nearest' branch is at Moorfoot.

All smaller banking branches in the suburbs will be closing, Lloyds announced this one at least 6 months ago. Nat West at Millhouses is due to close very soon. The trend started at least 20 years ago.

Back in the 1960s bank branch staff handled masses of cash and every cheque, credit paid in and standing order was processed in the branch. Almost all that was stripped out many years ago, much computerised and the rest into central units. Cheque cards were superseded by debit and credit cards. Even ATMs are being used less thanks to contactless and phone payments. I've used internet banking since 1997 and many young people have never used a cheque book.

The loss of branch banking jobs has been as severe as in many industrial occupations.

Do people still use banks?

Or cash?

Do people still use banks?

Or cash?

....or cheques ?

Yes.

Yes.

Luddite :D

I've written two cheques in the last 18 months. Before that I probably hadn't written one in 10 years.

Only reason I wrote the two cheques was because the tradesman I used was a fantastic old chap, who preferred being paid in a way he understands.

The local voluntary group I'm Treasurer for receives donations by cheque and in cash, and going into a bank is a simple way to pay those donations into the group's account.

When popping into a shop to buy a newspaper, I find paying 60p in cash easier than setting up a BACs transfer, no more difficult than making a contactless payment, and without the risk that the system will go down.

Belt and braces. Not all my eggs in one basket.