Parkinsons and getting back into work.

Keeping the thread updated... Parkinsons uk said give citizens advice another go. Although a refusal at the mandatory reconsideration stage has to be responded to within 30 days, there are exceptions where they will allow you up to 12 months to get a case together.

so off i went, stood in the snow for 40 mins to queue up.. and was told NO.. you didnt respond in 30 days.. they knew nothing of the 12 month thing. so they advised me to claim income support online and come back next week to discuss any problems i faced (it would be too late then cos i would either have filled in the form on not)... but they also said they cant understand why i'm not on one benefit or the other so they would help me write a letter to my M.P explaining the impossible scenario .. one where i cant afford to pay 8.50 per item on my prescription..!

P.uk did a home visit, bless em, and asked how i got on.. i had told them i've rarely had any positive results from our local c.a.b previously. Needless to say they were not impressed with my latest visit either. They offered to attend next weeks visit to the c.a.b with me to share their knowledge.. so there's a little hope in there somewhere.

I'm in a similar situation where seemingly the only way out is to put my home on the market , or risk getting it repossessed for my inability to pay the mortgage... Whereas if we were on Universal credit, we would have interest payments paid for a short while... now that would help, why cant we apply???

We're not in the catchment area to qualify.

As for my partners wage.. well i mentioned she was on a 12 hour contract. After snaffling a shift last week she came out with £101... Couples on the dole get more than that without getting out of bed. It's a strain on our relationship where she makes the effort and we end up far, far worse off.

I'll keep you all posted.

(hey, the sun's out)

You don't have to pay per item if you have a pre paid prescription. Here is the form:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

If you buy the annual pre paid one the cost is equivalent to 12 prescriptions but it allows you to have all your prescriptions at no further charge. I believe you can pay direct debit over then months now.

Hi Cloudsailers, a little off topic I know, but last year whilst I was working as a tea merchant. I met a lady with Parkinsons an exhibition. Not that I would have known from looking at here, as there was no visible signs of it. She explained to me that her doctor had advised her to drink green tea, which she had done for a year.

In her case it made such a different in slowing down the Parkinsons (although she confirmed she hated the taste) and changing her life for the better.

If you do a little research online, there are a number of websites showing the benefits to sufferers and how it could help. If I was working for the tea merchant still, I would have got you some for free.

Remember with green tea, don't pour boiling water onto the leaf. You'll burn it...only use water of 75 to 80 degrees. I do hope that helps my friend and if you heed my advice, let me know if it helps.

All the very best!

Green Tea: well i've had a nosey around t'internet thanks for the heads-up.

I read that chelators found in the detoxifying properties of the tea may in fact slow down or reduce the accumulation of iron in the brain. So that's a positive and deserves further surfing to see what clinical trials are saying about it. Maybe a decent supplemental treatment, so it could be worth a go.

I have heard it tastes a bit yuk but I'll add it to the shopping list.

I have heard it tastes a bit yuk but I'll add it to the shopping list.

You can buy it in supplement form, though I don’t know if this would have the same effect.

I've heard that canabis oil can help Parkinson's too. I think you can buy it from health food shops and some chemists stock Hemp oil, (not sure if that's the same sort of thing.) Helps with pain relief as well. No weird side effects as all the mind altering stuff has been taken out of it. Also available on the Internet of course, but never too sure what you're buying on there.

There's also a strong lobby trying to get the stronger stuff (that's freely available in other countries,) licensed here.

Oh, and good luck with your appeal. Do let us know how you get on.

Edited by Anna B