Car insurance renewals

When my car and house insurance was due for renewal a couple of months ago, I was shocked at the increase. Was pointed to DL, ended up with car and house insurance for less than my original quote for the car. A total saving of over £440.

I recently had a renewal quote for my car from 'Go-Skippy'...It was pretty much double last years cost, coming in at around £700...I didn't bother to contact them first-off. I shopped around and got a fully comp policy (last years was TPFT only..Second car) for £328.

Then I rang Go-Skippy and said when it runs out, I won't be renewing...and told them why...Then they said we can do something about that and maybe match the quote you've had elsewhere. I said, no don't bother...If you can't be reasonable when re-quoting, the first time, then I don't want your insurance.

I know all insurance companies do this...I just wonder what percentage of existing customers just blindly pay up?

I'd feel happier if they contacted you and said give us a ring and we'll get the best deal we can for you...Not just quote a silly price and alienate you.

I recently had a renewal quote for my car from 'Go-Skippy'...It was pretty much double last years cost, coming in at around £700...I didn't bother to contact them first-off. I shopped around and got a fully comp policy (last years was TPFT only..Second car) for £328.

Then I rang Go-Skippy and said when it runs out, I won't be renewing...and told them why...Then they said we can do something about that and maybe match the quote you've had elsewhere. I said, no don't bother...If you can't be reasonable when re-quoting, the first time, then I don't want your insurance.

I know all insurance companies do this...I just wonder what percentage of existing customers just blindly pay up?

I'd feel happier if they contacted you and said give us a ring and we'll get the best deal we can for you...Not just quote a silly price and alienate you.

I do something similar, when I call to cancel the renewal and they ask why I tell them I've got it cheaper elsewhere and refuse any offer of trying to match it stating that they've had their opportunity to send me their best offer when they sent me the new quote.

I do something similar, when I call to cancel the renewal and they ask why I tell them I've got it cheaper elsewhere and refuse any offer of trying to match it stating that they've had their opportunity to send me their best offer when they sent me the new quote.
I go one further and inform them that, beside disappointing me when telling me to naff off [through their stupidly overinflated renewal quote], they've cost me time -and therefore money- looking for a cheaper alternative, through their own lack of effort and commercial awareness...

...wherein, unless they can improve significantly on the better quote from the competition (as in, at least 10% under) to make up for my wasted time, I'm not interested.

Success is infrequent I'll admit...but at least the conversation is rewarding, for about 5 mins :hihi:

Edited by L00b

I do that too sometimes. Helps make the effort of the phone call more fulfilling.

Edited by barleycorn

I moved to a better location and I'm parking off the road...increase of £30 for the year!

I moved to a better location and I'm parking off the road...increase of £30 for the year!

Because the quote isn't based on your perception of location or parking position, it's based on hard facts and statistical analysis of that postcode and your demographic - likely claims cost that particular insurer more in that specific area or demographic.

That is why they keep your bank details, as other organisations do. I would sign up with one that did not save these details.

But how do you know if they save them or not and whether they do or not doesn't stop you changing ?

Received my car insurance renewal yesterday and to my horror it was nearly double last years. I rang them to ask why and they asked me if there had been any changes in past year. No, no changes whatsoever to which she replied "there has probably been a lot of car accidents/claims with a car same as yours"(Hyundai i10).

Was she serious? Am I missing something completely. Why should the type of car have anything to do with MY insurance

Received my car insurance renewal yesterday and to my horror it was nearly double last years. I rang them to ask why and they asked me if there had been any changes in past year. No, no changes whatsoever to which she replied "there has probably been a lot of car accidents/claims with a car same as yours"(Hyundai i10).

Was she serious? Am I missing something completely. Why should the type of car have anything to do with MY insurance

What your insurer is doing is pumping you for cash. Unless there's information I'm missung you'll get it cheaper elsewhere.

Probably. They are a law unto themselves (if that is right phrase)

There's something odd about how they are allowed to seemingly govern themselves.

- more info though for you to try...

My cheapest quote the other day for my new different car, was £300 ish. I decided to try Tesco first as that was my last 'normal car' insurance and thought the transfer of my 9 years NCB would be easier if I used them. The guy on the phone said to go to their site for best quote. I did, it was £950! :hihi:

The funny thing is though, when I got my quotes of moneysupermarket, and took the cheapest one, Tesco was in the list at £650! 300 cheaper than on their own site with identical details.

Try that site, I've used it a few times. Don't use the ones that use lots of TV ads, as they are more. I tried.

Has car insurance gone up recently or something?

Im due for renewal and to say im surprised at the quotes is an understatement

The lowest quote is almost double last year and nothing has changed apart from ive earned an extra years NCD

Anyone else having this problem?

It could simply be that there have been more than the average number of claims in your neighbourhood. The premiums are calculated on risk. Risk is calculated on hard data. If three or four of your neighbours have claimed, your premium could easily go up.

Mind you, that’s one hefty premium. Do you live in Barnsley?