Thinking of buying my boy who has Autism a puppy, Advice please

My little boy is seven and is currently under rygate, i told my little boy he could have a puppy and he really wants a labrador, but this is not a breed i would choose as a pet due to size and i've heard they can be boytrous i was hoping he would like a smaller dog. As i have looked into the benifits to autistic children having a dog, i just think its such a big desision.

we recently looked after a puppy for one of my friends and i can't ignore, how my son was happier around the house, my son does'nt play out like my younger son so is in the house alot with me and it really brought him to life having a friend (pup) rather than been sat up in his room quietly.

I have tried my hardest to find some training or an organisation that i can take my son with the puppy to be trained for his needs but can only find US sites, is there any in sheffield ?

Me and my son have been talking about this for a good few months and i have the money for the puppy and i'm think of going to look at one today with my son but i'm havin last minute gitters and i have promised him the pup and i asked him if he'd like lots of games or a big toy insted to which he replyed 'i want my pup' :)

i know he wants a labrador, what are their temprements like? and is there any other breed that is known for helping autistic children or any sites you can recomend? thankyou

Labradors or retrievers are used as guide-dogs for the blind, so they both have a caring nature which most of the time, they don't need to be trained for. The Lab is a very caring dog, and I used to look after a Lab-cross, and he was the sweetest thing ever. Never did anything naughty, and did everything he was told, and he was always there when his owner felt unwell (she has been in an accident and needs home help), but he is always around to look after her.

I would suggest a Lab dog, they are so sweet, and so full of energy. They are big, but luckily, they know their size, and so can control their actions.

They will automatically respond to your son, and know he is disable, and will look after him like he's there own.

I have had a labrador for the last five years, and yes as pups they can be very boisterous but they are very quick learners and very eager to learn, they are a breed that love children and will devote their lives to them

Labradors or retrievers are used as guide-dogs for the blind, so they both have a caring nature which most of the time, they don't need to be trained for. The Lab is a very caring dog, and I used to look after a Lab-cross, and he was the sweetest thing ever. Never did anything naughty, and did everything he was told, and he was always there when his owner felt unwell (she has been in an accident and needs home help), but he is always around to look after her.

I would suggest a Lab dog, they are so sweet, and so full of energy. They are big, but luckily, they know their size, and so can control their actions.

They will automatically respond to your son, and know he is disable, and will look after him like he's there own.

My bold

Aren't they just!! Lovely dogs, but need plenty of stimulation and walkies.

To the OP - I'd do some more investigating before you got a puppy. I know it must be hard when your lad is so keen, but so many lovely dogs end up in rescue because their owners either can't cope or because their children have got bored with their new "toy". Please don't take that as me having a go at you - you've obviously been thinking about it for a while.

Have you considered a rescue dog? Puppies can be very hard work and a young dog is sometimes better. Not all rescue dogs have just been abandoned, some come with a history, so it's possible to know if they are going to be suitable. A lot of rescues will have the dog back if it doesn't work out for any reason, not all breeders will.

That's another thing - be careful where you buy - don't end up with an unhealthy little scrap from a puppy farm. You really need to see the mum with the pups, so you can be sure they come from a decent home.

If you get a Lab pup, make sure to keep your bog roll safe!

Have you considered a rescue dog? Puppies can be very hard work and a young dog is sometimes better. Not all rescue dogs have just been abandoned, some come with a history, so it's possible to know if they are going to be suitable. A lot of rescues will have the dog back if it doesn't work out for any reason, not all breeders will.

Most rehoming centres are pretty good like that, they test the dog's temperament and assess it's suitability to live with kids or other animals. Some of the wording they use is a bit Estate-Agent-y though, I once saw an advert for a dog that had "good problem solving skills"

The "problems" of course were how to tunnel into next door to get the cat and how to steal the food off the worktop

Most rehoming centres are pretty good like that, they test the dog's temperament and assess it's suitability to live with kids or other animals. Some of the wording they use is a bit Estate-Agent-y though, I once saw an advert for a dog that had "good problem solving skills"

The "problems" of course were how to tunnel into next door to get the cat and how to steal the food off the worktop

Haven't come across that sort of phraseology!! :hihi:

Don't see why your boys Autism comes into anything. I have always had dogs in my life, from being a young baby. I have cats now, as they are quite happy to do their own walking. Why not go together round all the animal sancturies, you will know straight away which one to pick, never mind what breed it is.

I have a labrador who is 8 years old now. We have had him since he was a pup. My daughter is handicapped.

Yes, labradors are big (but you can get much bigger breeds eg: St Bernards!!!).

Small dogs are yappy and get under your feet/trip you up. Small dogs aren't as patient as Labs and could snap.

Labradors are the most wonderful, kind, sensitive and friendly dogs you could ever wish to have.

I don't think you'd go far wrong with a Lab.

A couple of years ago there was a TV programme based on the real life of an autistic boy who had a labrador. From what I can remember they grew up together as good freinds. The routine of feeding and exercising the dog was very good for the boy I think because autistic people like routine. The programme was very interesting until the end when the dog died aged about 15. The boy's (then a young adult) reaction reduced me to tears. Not only had his best friend left him but he couldn't understand why.

My words of advise would be think long term when the pup is a full grown dog whose life will be shorter than your sons'.

Good luck.

You need a dog that will listen and I'm not joking. Autistic children can talk to dogs like no one else and this has a very comforting affect for the child.

If you choose a labrador, find a good breeder that will ensure the parents are of sound temprement. All litters will have different characters in them and the breeder will tell you which is the most cuddly, lazy or playful. If you go for a rescue dog you will not know its background and you really need to make sure you are not taking on trouble. Some labs are very strong and then some just roll over. Another smaller breed that could be consideration is a cocker spaniel but their coats can be a bit of a pain.

I can recommend Katie Patmore for training as she is very considerate and has a very calming manner.

Contact Support Dogs, who are a Sheffield-based charity. They have a section within the charity whereby they train -up dogs to be "companion" dogs to kiddies with Autism.

They've done fantastic work, and quite a few kiddies have benefited greatly from the companion dogs' input.