Great day out at Hillsborough park today, we accidentally popped up to the Walled garden we didn't know it existed, but we have to say what a real Gem of a place, we bought some small bedding plants from the volunteers as they were giving out a free Tomato plant to anyone who wanted one, really decent 3ft plants too.

Friendly and relaxing I'd encourage and recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet oasis, you can tell a lot of effort is put in by the volunteers that look after it.

:clap:

Edited by Beechwood_S6

I love the walled garden. I live quite near, and walk through to the library or just sit and enjoy it.

I have a great memory of watching a production of King Lear on a summer evening years ago in the garden. People had brought picnics and drinks, it was a magical evening, if somewhat surreal being enhanced by the sound of trams going by!

The volunteers do a great job.

Just remembered a story my old man told me about when my mother was pregnant with yours truly,this was in 1943!.In those days I think I have it right the other side of the library building near the walled garden was where ladies had their checks when pregnant!.So my mother was informed to take a urine sample for checking,she walked it from the bottom of Liversey Street to the clinic and patientely waited to be seen!.When called in and asked for her sample my mother dipped into her shopping bag and produced a Tizer bottle full of urine to the doctors amusement,after a laughing fit he informed her she could have used an aspirin bottle instead,our old man never let it drop pulling her leg years after, that being the reason I know the story!.

It's an amazing place to just hang out and take in the fact that we can have places like it, open to the public.

Just had a little wander in here with my youngest.

Met 2 of the volunteers and bought 2 sunflower plants, the plants are very reasonably priced.

What a suntrap it is when the sun is shining.

A lovely, lovely place to either sit or stroll round and smell the beautiful rose gardens.

Hello, this sound intresting where exactly on Liversey Street Hillsbrough S6 is it and can you park. Thanks

I remember the walled garden from when I was a little kid in the early to mid-60's. As Old Tup recalls, the "Welfare " Clinic for expectant mums and/or new mums and their babies was in the middle of Hillsborough Park, above the Hillsborough Library. When my own mum used to go there with me and my little brothers and sister, she would always take us to to the childrens' section of the library afterwards, to choose a couple of books, then she'd take us into the walled garden to sit on the benches for a while with our books. She'd then walk us down to the playground area to run wild for half an hour and tire ourselves out on the swings, slide, roundabout, rocking-horse etc. She'd then buy us an ice lolly or a bottle of pop from the little green hut near the playground. My old mum remembers these days as a trudge and a necessary chore - but we kids loved it.

The walled garden seemed to be closed off and allowed to fall into disrepair for many, many years, so I was surprised to see it all renovated and open again when I visited Sheff last year. I think they got a lottery grant or something - to restore it and do it up. It's lovely - really peaceful and with a really nice variety of native plants & shrubs. The volunteers do a grand job.

Hello, this sound intresting where exactly on Liversey Street Hillsbrough S6 is it and can you park. Thanks

the walled garden is at the top end of Hillsboro park. plenty of parking spaces in the car park (free) of parkside rd.

the walled garden is at the top end of Hillsboro park. plenty of parking spaces in the car park (free) of parkside rd.

It's a bit of a walk up from the Parkside Rd carpark.

Be better off parking on side streets off Middlewood Rd and crossing over the road to the walled garden entrance on Middlewood Road.

Great little place , And credit to all Volunteers there , I asked em to have a Plant stall at our RedsvBlues event on 17th . hope they raise a few ££s also hope to do a fans match soon to raise some more funds for them .:thumbsup:

The garden was created as a memorial to the Hillsborough Disaster , one of the entrances has an arch with the wording YOU'LE NEVER WALK ALONE .