Jimmy powell singer died 13 may

sad to report jimmy powell has died today at home, he was a big name in the sixties at the esquire club , rip jimmy, you can see him on you tube at the borderline club 2 years ago

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 21:51 ----------

it would be nice to pass on your memories of him on stage did you see him at a packed night at the ecclesall non pots 60s night in 1988 rip jimmy

Hi maggidee.

I've only just seen this. So sorry to hear of Jimmy's passing.

Saw him several times at the Esquire. Was my favourite band of that time. He always played a blistering set. Never understood why lesser talents got massive recognition but he didn't.

It's only a couple of weeks ago he was being mentioned in an Esquire thread on History and Expats

A fantastic live performer.Always a big draw at the Esquire

A fantastic live performer.Always a big draw at the Esquire

I saw him at the 'Esquire' a few times-1964-65-but he didn't seem to get a lot of media exposure even being on, I think 'Decca' records. I only saw him once on national t.v. 'Ready Steady Go ! perhaps ?

Edited by stpetre
add

I saw him at the 'Esquire' a few times-1965-65-but he didn't seem to get a lot of media exposure even being on, I think 'Decca' records. I only saw him once on national t.v. 'Ready Steady Go ! perhaps ?

Ready Steady Go? That could be right. I vaguely remember seeing him just once on TV.

RSG was essential viewing. What a show that was. One week you'd see bands at the Esquire and then next week they'd be on there, which just proved what a ' happening ' place it was.

I'm sure maggidee will know as I seem to remember she's a massive Jimmy Powell fan.

Ready Steady Go? That could be right. I vaguely remember seeing him just once on TV.

RSG was essential viewing. What a show that was. One week you'd see bands at the Esquire and then next week they'd be on there, which just proved what a ' happening ' place it was.

I'm sure maggidee will know as I seem to remember she's a massive Jimmy Powell fan.

'Ready Steady Go' used to try and bring in 'up and coming bands' as well as established ones, whereas 'Top of the Pops' (BBC Manchester) and 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' (I.T.V Birmingham) the artists had already made it. 'RSG' (Redifussion, - I think-, London) was also biased to London area performers. so you had to be useful (and provincial) to get on there.

Edited by stpetre
Add

'Ready Steady Go' used to try and bring in 'up and coming bands' as well as established ones, whereas 'Top of the Pops' (BBC Manchester) and 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' (I.T.V Birmingham) the artists had already made it. 'RSG' (Redifussion, - I think-, London) was also biased to London area performers. so you had to be useful (and provincial) to get on there.

Don't know why, but I always thought Tyne -Tees broadcast Ready Steady Go, could be wrong though, I did read, along time ago that Dave Clark bought all episodes for peanuts in the seventies and made a fortune selling them to the Disney Channel, several years later. Almost every famous sixties bands and solo artists appeared on that show, at some point.

Don't know why, but I always thought Tyne -Tees broadcast Ready Steady Go, could be wrong though, I did read, along time ago that Dave Clark bought all episodes for peanuts in the seventies and made a fortune selling them to the Disney Channel, several years later. Almost every famous sixties bands and solo artists appeared on that show, at some point.

When RSG was syndicated from London in 1964 it was received in south Yorkshire through Granada Tv (Manchester via Emley Moor) or A.T.V Midlands (Birmingham), no Yorkshire T.V till later on in the decade. Not to say that Tyne-Tees Tv didn't do it.

When RSG was syndicated from London in 1964 it was received in south Yorkshire through Granada Tv (Manchester via Emley Moor) or A.T.V Midlands (Birmingham), no Yorkshire T.V till later on in the decade. Not to say that Tyne-Tees Tv didn't do it.

I believe Keith Fordyce, an NME writer, was the male presenter of RSG, can't remember the girl's name though, but I can picture how she looked on the show, kind of Sandy Shaw..ish

I believe Keith Fordyce, an NME writer, was the male presenter of RSG, can't remember the girl's name though, but I can picture how she looked on the show, kind of Sandy Shaw..ish

Cathy McGowan?

Cathy McGowan?

Right on the money, thanks

Right on the money, thanks

No problem.

From memory, RSG started being broadcast in the south only - or perhaps 'trialed' as they say these days - and an early (perhaps first?) female presenter was Zoe Dean, who became Deep Purple's Ian Gillan's girlfriend for a few years.