Work Related Stress..Anyone Been Off With It? Advice?

Right - I went down to Howden House, they went through a Benefit claim form with me for housing benefit. They said they will process it within 2 weeks but still need further evidence from me such as my next pay slip which SHOULD show SSP, in whcih case i will be entitled to full housing benefit.

I have been singed off for a number of weeks like is aid and on the back of the sick note i had to fil in a part for my employer to pay SSP so i would guess i hand my sick note in and they sort out the SSP?

You could say i worked in the public sector yes.

What sort of tenancy do you live in, as this will affect how much you get?

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having a difficult time-i would reccomend you get in touch with these people...they can help with lots of stuff including liasing with your employer re:return to work/benefits etc.

http://www.sohas.co.uk/

amy x

I am a lodger so I will prob get LHA which is worked out differently from what I understand about it.

As I am signed off with work related stress, caused by current employer, I know that I can still look at other jobs, but what if I get an interview and then offered a job? Would I be able to leave my current employment, go to the GP sign off sick then start a new job? It’s a shady area which I am going to seek professional advice on anyway but just curious what other people’s views or knowledge would be?

Thing is, its my current employer causing the stress, if I moved job then I would not be under the stress I am under right now, so logically makes sense.

Its all about what people can claim these days, no wonder the country is in such a state!

I have worked all my dam life this is the first time I have ever been out of work or off work for a long period of time due to sickness, and it’s about time the government started to look after its own rather than shell out thousands on immigrants and foreigners!!

I don’t plan to LIVE on benefits so don’t tarnish everyone with the same brush!

You don’t know my circumstances in full and the reasons behind why I am stressed at work - I have a medical condition and genuine valid reasons to be signed off! I am not an "oh I can’t be assed" to work person at all! I have paid enough tax and insurance over the last 20 years and its abt time I get the help I deserve from this government!

Well said sheffguy!

I have been off with stress before and it is not very nice. People think that when you are off work for a long time it all goes away but it doesnt. You are left with the stress of not knowing how you are going to pay for things and that itself can add to it.

It must be really bad if you are not wanting to go back to work, i really understand your situation - been there and just about at that point myself again with work.

Hope things work you for you matey.

Don't worry about what other people think about you needing to claim short term-sometimes you just reach a point where you can't keep going and so its good that you have taken some time off. I think that if you start looking for something else you should be fine-but i would take some advice from professionals.

amy x

There are very special circumstances in which you can be refused SSP from the re-search i have been doing, one is if you have been off more than 4 days within the 8 weeks of going off ill again - it amazes me that you have to find these things out yourself and your not told about them, even by DWP.

Then again if they sack me they dont have to pay me SSP at all, im which case its a defo JSA job! Be pretty daft for them to sack me while im off sick thou, will add to the discrimination and visctimisation they have arealdy shown towards me.

Our company has gone through many changes to improve effiency, some of them hairbrained schemes that you bang your head against the wall over.

BUT

Throughout this process, and in the day to day running of the business our management team from the top down to team supervisors have been open, transparent, honest and approachable in trying to manage officer workload and reducing work related stress.

So, I'm quite lucky to remain in employment and only occassionally get stressed. My former employer in the IT software industry stressed me out big time so I can appreciate how you feel.

As I am signed off with work related stress, caused by current employer, I know that I can still look at other jobs, but what if I get an interview and then offered a job? Would I be able to leave my current employment, go to the GP sign off sick then start a new job? It’s a shady area which I am going to seek professional advice on anyway but just curious what other people’s views or knowledge would be?

Thing is, its my current employer causing the stress, if I moved job then I would not be under the stress I am under right now, so logically makes sense.

Be careful. I was in very similar circumstances several years ago. I took the same view as you; get a new job and everything will fall back into place.

Unfortunately, after going through interviews for three other positions without successfully getting a new job, I fell into depression. That was the last thing I expected.

Work related stress is no joke. It tends to affect very hard working, self-motivated people and right now you are probably spending most of your time planning how to take back control of your life. Well, your mind is telling you you need to reduce your stress levels before you do yourself permanent harm. Please take note.

Edited by Max Power

I have just been signed off work for a number of weeks by my doctor due to work related stress. Is there any benefits i can claim in the meantime such as SSP or to help with paying my rent? My work does not pay when your off sick.

Dont you get something like £95 a week sick pay?