Upper Heeley WMC does anyone recall it ?

That would be Prospect View, known locally as Cuckoo

I can remember being sat on the wall opposite with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps, waiting.

In the early 50's my pal's dad was a member, and he and I used to go on the club's seaside outing to Cleethorpes or Skegness. We used to loose our voices singing and shouting out of the window at people as we passed by.

Great memories.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

I remember Arthur Staley - he was a friend of my father Harold Bain - also a life member of Upper Heeley WMC. I think he sometimes came fishing with George Tingle, my dad, Jack Drew and other friends (with me outside school terms) in George's Dormobile van.

George Tingle had the tackle shop at Heeley Green my dad worked there on his days off and an occasional treat was to go with him to the maggot farm - run by an expatriate Pole out in North Nottinghamshire - to collect biscuit boxes full of fresh maggots collected under rotting carcases in a big barn.

Like others I also went on the WMC seaside outings queuing outside the club to get our brown envelope wage packets of spending money - which I never managed to completely spend despite eating sweet stuff till I could hardly walk.

Hey carfieldkid, just trawling through Heeley stuff on the forum and came accross your post ,although its from a while ago, and came accross my dads name along with "Jud" Tingle's. I remember dad mentioning Harry Bain, Dad died in 2000 and mother a short while earlier ironically in the nursing home where the club used to be.

Thanks for the memory,

Fourbytwo

Does anyone remember the Upper Heeley Working Mans Club ?

I remember the UHWMC trips to Cleethorpes. I lived on Heeley Bank Road and remember the excitement I felt as one Sheffield United Tours (SUT) coach after another thundered up the road from the garage on Charlotte Road.

If I recall correctly we either got five shillings (25p) or half-a-crown (12.5p) and half price tickets for the amusements, most of which were in "Wonderland".

I remember the UHWMC trips to Cleethorpes. I lived on Heeley Bank Road and remember the excitement I felt as one Sheffield United Tours (SUT) coach after another thundered up the road from the garage on Charlotte Road.

If I recall correctly we either got five shillings (25p) or half-a-crown (12.5p) and half price tickets for the amusements, most of which were in "Wonderland".

I seem to remember going with the club to Blades cup matches in London in the 1960,s when they dropped us off at the ground and then picked us up at midnight probably in Soho after an educational night.

On 05/12/2006 at 08:40, toptourist said:

Does anyone remember the Upper Heeley Working Mans Club ?

I was part of the Staley family when I joined, my grandfather was president, my dad was secretary and one of my uncles was on the committee. My application went through without a problem!!

I remember their kid's charabanc trips to Cleethorpes, Mablethorpe, etc.

They were the best. (spending money in a brown envelope).