Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Does anybody have any information about orphanages within the Sheffield area, dating back over that last 100 years.

I am doing some private study and would be interested in any information.

The Little Sisters of the Poor ran a Catholic orphanage on Heeley Bank Road. Since 1971 though, the site has been accommodation for a housing association.

Do a search on SF, as someone was researching this place a few months ago.

red, I always thought that it was a "home for the sheffield aged" as per the stickers we used to get on its flag day which read "little sisters of the poor, homes for the sheffield aged"

also the housing has only been on that site since the early eighties, IIRC (there's a plaque on the front wall which gives the date of South Yorkshire Housing Assoc, erecting the new houses) I beleive/suspect the 1971 date is possibly when the convent stopped being a convent...?

now, on the subject of orphanages. one of the elderly customers who uses the charity I volunteer for, tells the tales of his mother growing up in the old Mount Pleasant House, Sharrow Lane, just after the turn of the century. the sitwells who were weallthy landowners orunfd here I think, gave the building over tho be a "school" for orphans)

There is an Orphanage Road off Barnsley road, that runs at the side of Firs Hill school, at the top of pitsmoor. Something tells me there might be a link/ very big clue there.

There were the Cherry Tree Homes, at Nether Edge...?

Also, we had at least two/ three workhouses in the Sheffield area, One at Nether Edge (which became Nether Edge Hospital, which has now become very prestigious housing) and the other I can remember being told was a workhouse, which is now the Northern General hospital (and wasn't Middlewood hospital a workhouse, before it became the asylum? I could be wrong)

I also believe there was a childrens home in the Totley area, near to where the Cheshire Homes is now.

PT

There was an orphange at Lodge Moor back in the 50's. Now an up market residential area, but I remember seeing the kids walking back from Fulwood Church on a Sunday morning - quite a trek!

Originally posted by Millhouses

There was an orphange at Lodge Moor back in the 50's. Now an up market residential area, but I remember seeing the kids walking back from Fulwood Church on a Sunday morning - quite a trek!

Was that what was the 'naughty girls' home' in the seventies?

Don't know about the girls, but I'm sure it had closed by then

Moorside, it was called. Off Blackbrook Lane. A collection of houses within a wall. Same place?

That's the one. Very nicely redeveloped, as long as you weren't an orphan when it was closed!:(

My mum was brought up in an orphanage until she was adopted when she was about 6 I think. The family who adopted her, well her new mums sister was in charge of all the childrens homes in Sheffield at the time. (or something like that) I'll ask my mum for some info.

There was also a childrens home/orphanage in Hillsborough at the bottom of Minto Road. It's now P.A.R.K nursery. It was run by the Catholic Church.

Some information from White's 1919/20 Directory of Sheffield...

DR. BARNADO’S HOMES ... Sheffield branch, 253 Pitsmoor Road; Thomas Jefferson, superintendent...Boys and girls are alike received, whose ages may vary from birth up to sixteen years. Crippled, blind and deaf and dumb, if destitute, are admitted. The Homes shelter over 9,000 orphan and destitute children. [i'm guessing that's a national total!]

THE SHEFFIELD ORPHAN HOMES were founded in 1848 by Mrs. Hoole, who secured a field of two acres in the village of Crookes [Lydgate Lane], where two homes were built, each for a matron and 20 orphans. A third home was opened in 1886, and is devoted entirely to orphan boys....the cost of each child is about £15 a year. Several ladies maintain orphans at their own cost. There are at present in residence 40 children, two matrons and two assistants.

THE TEACHERS’ ORPHANAGE AND ORPHAN FUND was established in 1878. THE GIRLS’ ORPHANAGE at Page Hall, Firth Park Road, Pitsmoor....Page Hall is a mansion of stone...and will hold 30 children. [the Boys’ Orphanage was in London]

THE FULWOOD COTTAGE HOMES, opened on the 30th Sept. 1905, are situated at Bolehill, Fulwood, and comprise 22 cottages...and are built for 264 children....

CORBRIDGE MEMORIAL HOME, 185 Woodside Lane, for friendless and homeless girls, servants out of situations, girls with unsuitable homes and orphans; supported by subscriptions and donations. Miss E.King, superintendent; John Eames, 256 Barnsley Road, treasurer.

Hugh

I was looking on Picture Sheffield tonight, and there were some wonderful pictures of Mount Pleasant House, and the "Charity School for poor Girls" has some photographs, and information

Apparently the poor-school was originally established at 15 St james' Row, in the city centre, in 1786, and was moved to Mount Pleasant House, Sharrow Lane, which was originally owned by the Sitwell Family of Renishaw, in 1874. the photo of the girls in 1912 on picture sheffield could well have my friend's mother (mentioned in my previous post) in the group.

PT