Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

14-05-2018, 22:44   #1
swarfendor43

Total Posts: 6,303
Just stumbled on these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BToqEvCAdPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u0TZxaFVzc

they are about Military use of microwaves and how it can even be responsible for cot deaths - just remember the guy being 'interviewed' is an ex-military expert who has dealt with Microwaves in his military role.

The second gives an interesting insight into how easy it is to become headless sheep. The landscaping of Apple's Cupertino hq is also of 'interest', not to mention 'Artemis' wireless boxes.

Last edited by swarfendor43; 15-05-2018 at 13:17.
14-05-2018, 23:03   #2
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 14,760
Nothing new, and tbh turning your router off will make little to no difference as when you use your Microwave for 5 minutes it puts out more radiation (on the 2.4-2.8Ghz spectrum) than your WiFi router would in a year...

Also, newer 5Ghz routers aren't anywhere near as bad....

Oh, and the blue-light thing's nothing new, there's been apps and programs to adjust your monitors colour tone throughout the day, and some monitors/TV's even have a 'blue light' filter that does it automatically...

Windows even has an option built in for it (disabled by default)
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

Fear, is not knowing. Terror, is finding out.
14-05-2018, 23:06   #3
swarfendor43

Don't have a microwave or ever intend having one.
15-05-2018, 00:40   #4
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43 View Post
ok, What about Mobile phones, baby monitors, Cordless house phones, do you ever use Bluetooth? maybe your car alarm key fob, wireless video senders..

There's a very long list of devices that operate on or around the 2.4Ghz band, and there's so much emission from just these devices that turning off your router will make no difference imho..
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

Fear, is not knowing. Terror, is finding out.
15-05-2018, 08:16   #5
AlexAtkin

Total Posts: 2,591
Not forgetting your neighbors WiFi and that if you have DSL based broadband that constantly turning your router off is likely to cause your speed to be reduced, as it will consider it a fault.

You are also likely to need to replace the PSU for your router much sooner as all those spikes of power will wear our the capacitors faster. Bottom line, routers are designed to be left on.

If it really bothers you its better to turn off the WiFi in your router and get a second dedicated WiFi Access Point, some you can program to turn off the WiFi automatically during certain hours. BONUS: You can also put it in a more optimal position for better WiFi coverage.
_______
ISP: Zen Router: Intel DN2800MT (pfSense) Avg Speed: 64Mbit Exchange: Intake

Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & Nintendo: AlexAtkinUK

Last edited by AlexAtkin; 15-05-2018 at 08:55.
15-05-2018, 12:54   #6
probedb

Total Posts: 5,819
When posting links to videos it might be useful to give people an idea what it's about instead of clicking on random youtube links.
15-05-2018, 13:17   #7
swarfendor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by probedb View Post
When posting links to videos it might be useful to give people an idea what it's about instead of clicking on random youtube links.
OK, it was very late when I posted and had to do some chores - have updated the OP.
15-05-2018, 13:53   #8
AlexAtkin

Honestly the blue light thing is a known real issue, but I stopped wanting to watch the instant he said "We've become accustomed to flipping a switch and having the darkness disappear and the problem with that is, our bodies were not designed by god to be in that environment"

So close, if only he had omitted "to be in that environment" I MIGHT have given him a chance.
_______

15-05-2018, 14:08   #9
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAtkin View Post
Honestly the blue light thing is a known real issue, but I stopped wanting to watch the instant he said "We've become accustomed to flipping a switch and having the darkness disappear and the problem with that is, our bodies were not designed by god to be in that environment"

So close, if only he had omitted "to be in that environment" I MIGHT have given him a chance.
Surely, using the phrase "designed by god" would prompt to you to stop watching faster?
_______
UK debt now £1,920 billion. It was £700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
15-05-2018, 15:25   #10
AlexAtkin

No it would have been "We've become accustomed to flipping a switch and having the darkness disappear and the problem with that is, our bodies were not designed by god".

Okay I suppose it would make no sense to say that, lol.
_______

Last edited by AlexAtkin; 15-05-2018 at 15:32.
15-05-2018, 15:44   #11
alsatian

Total Posts: 45
Quote:
That's a shame because they are really handy at heating up food and drinks.
15-05-2018, 19:02   #12
swarfendor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsatian View Post
That's a shame because they are really handy at heating up food and drinks.
Oops! Big mistake - I'm on a (non-microwaved) roll now!

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...ave-your-food/
15-05-2018, 19:23   #13
AlexAtkin

"The simple fact is, when you use a microwave, you’re getting a lot more than the food you eat."

They are making some huge assumptions there mostly around packaging.

For example, microwaving my porridge in a ceramic bowl in the morning would be subject to none of those side-effects except perhaps a little vitamin loss in the milk itself. The oats do not heat up much as they are not subject to the milk long enough to soak it up, they mostly do so in the standing time afterwards when the temperate has already dropped. Then I add honey which will not have lost any nutrients.

So suggesting that you NEVER use a Microwave is poor advice.

Also if you read up on cooking food in pans/ovens then you will see similar claims of the metal seeping into your food. So there really is no completely safe way of cooking, but its safer than eating a lot of things raw.

Mind you I'm screwed anyway as I HAVE to eat ready meals due to issues in my hands which makes preparing food impractical.

Ultimately if the worry is losing vitamins, then you just have to make sure its a balanced diet with enough raw fruit and/or vegetables too.
If its the containers you cook in, well, you're screwed either way.

"Leaks, burns, nutritional concerns, and promoting a culture of laziness and immediate gratification are all good reasons why you may want to consider a different cooking method."

"Microwaves are regulated to ensure only low levels of radiation escape—most of which dissipates within one or two feet.

That may sound good, but low radiation is different from no radiation."

Its pretty simple, leave the kitchen during microwaving. Any residual radiation is unlikely to make it through the wall. If it did, you would notice as your WiFi would slow to a crawl.

Honestly, I live close to a cell tower so it seems pointless worrying about things that give out an order of magnitude less radiation. Oh and I DID look out for changes in my health when that tower went online, its just as poor as its always been, following the same routine as my mums health issues which started long before microwave ovens, WiFi or mobile phones.

I think a LOT of things people are associating with microwave radiation are normal health problems. But as science has no explanation, they point the blame at something as they want answers. There is a lot to be said for placebo effect, feeling better just because you THINK you do. (although it doesn't work for everyone, never has for me)
_______

Last edited by AlexAtkin; 15-05-2018 at 19:36.
15-05-2018, 19:50   #14
alsatian

Total Posts: 45
Quote:
Oops! Big mistake - I'm on a (non-microwaved) roll now!

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...ave-your-food/
That website is full of it. Scam products.
15-05-2018, 22:03   #15
swarfendor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAtkin View Post
"The simple fact is, when you use a microwave, youíre getting a lot more than the food you eat."

They are making some huge assumptions there mostly around packaging.

For example, microwaving my porridge in a ceramic bowl in the morning would be subject to none of those side-effects except perhaps a little vitamin loss in the milk itself. The oats do not heat up much as they are not subject to the milk long enough to soak it up, they mostly do so in the standing time afterwards when the temperate has already dropped. Then I add honey which will not have lost any nutrients.

So suggesting that you NEVER use a Microwave is poor advice.

Also if you read up on cooking food in pans/ovens then you will see similar claims of the metal seeping into your food. So there really is no completely safe way of cooking, but its safer than eating a lot of things raw.

Mind you I'm screwed anyway as I HAVE to eat ready meals due to issues in my hands which makes preparing food impractical.

Ultimately if the worry is losing vitamins, then you just have to make sure its a balanced diet with enough raw fruit and/or vegetables too.
If its the containers you cook in, well, you're screwed either way.

"Leaks, burns, nutritional concerns, and promoting a culture of laziness and immediate gratification are all good reasons why you may want to consider a different cooking method."

"Microwaves are regulated to ensure only low levels of radiation escapeómost of which dissipates within one or two feet.

That may sound good, but low radiation is different from no radiation."

Its pretty simple, leave the kitchen during microwaving. Any residual radiation is unlikely to make it through the wall. If it did, you would notice as your WiFi would slow to a crawl.

Honestly, I live close to a cell tower so it seems pointless worrying about things that give out an order of magnitude less radiation. Oh and I DID look out for changes in my health when that tower went online, its just as poor as its always been, following the same routine as my mums health issues which started long before microwave ovens, WiFi or mobile phones.

I think a LOT of things people are associating with microwave radiation are normal health problems. But as science has no explanation, they point the blame at something as they want answers. There is a lot to be said for placebo effect, feeling better just because you THINK you do. (although it doesn't work for everyone, never has for me)
Hi Alex, good advice - also stated in this Daily Mail article - I also did not know that microwaves leak through walls!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...t-leaking.html
15-05-2018, 22:20   #16
Obelix

Total Posts: 12,850
Do you even go out in sunlight? That big unshielded nuclear reactor in the sky emits an awful lot of microwaves that make it to the surface...
_______
Looks like Farage wants a second referendum... is he worried he's insecure...?
15-05-2018, 22:24   #17
swarfendor43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Do you even go out in sunlight? That big unshielded nuclear reactor in the sky emits an awful lot of microwaves that make it to the surface...
Yes I do, sensibly covered!

But you can't wear protective barriers to Microwaves - well worth a read:

http://www.stopthecrime.net/trower%20to%20irish.pdf
15-05-2018, 22:48   #18
Dude111

Total Posts: 3,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43
I avoid using a microwave at all costs!!

Not good for food... Ruins it!!
15-05-2018, 23:08   #19
swarfendor43

@Dude111 - you should be more concerned with Wi-Fi and mobile technology - read the pdf!
16-05-2018, 00:12   #20
Obelix

Total Posts: 12,850
Quote:
Yes I do, sensibly covered!

But you can't wear protective barriers to Microwaves - well worth a read:

http://www.stopthecrime.net/trower%20to%20irish.pdf
So you are worried about milliwatt microwaves yet you use a computer that emits microwaves and go out in sunlight?

I used to think you were a somewhat sensible poster but this is MAC33 levels of batcrappery.
_______
Looks like Farage wants a second referendum... is he worried he's insecure...?
Reply To Topic