Growing onions ..

Im going to have a go at growing a few onions , bought some small onions (sets) today . How deep do I plant them and how far apart ? Any other advice would be appreciated . Thanks

hi I put mine in a box of peat or similar and water for a while then plant as this gives them roots ,so when you plant the birds cant pull them out,i find it helps the whole process,if that helps

Hi Hackey. At this time of year, you might as well plant them directly into the ground.

Give the soil a good forking through to make it nice and soft. Then plant the onion sets using a trowel. Make sure they are the right way up, pointy bit to the top :) Aim to get the tip of the set level with the soil. Plant them about 9 inches apart, water well, add fertiliser and enjoy.

Top tip. Pick a few before they are fully ready. Wet onions are delicious.

---------- Post added 25-04-2018 at 13:22 ----------

hi I put mine in a box of peat or similar and water for a while then plant as this gives them roots ,so when you plant the birds cant pull them out,i find it helps the whole process,if that helps

I start mine in modules in the greenhouse in February. I plant them out when the stems are about 4 inches long. As you say, it stops the birds and gives them a strong start

Thank you for the advice . Put them in yesterday . How long before I will see signs of life ? Again thank you

Onions seem to be coming on fine but the leaves which are about 10/12 inches look weak and in some cases are flopping / breaking . Any ideas please

thats normal and then they thicken out as the onion gets bigger,then when correct size the green will die down and the onion will expand further ,I then remove from ground on a sunny day let onion dry out and then bag.

thats normal and then they thicken out as the onion gets bigger,then when correct size the green will die down and the onion will expand further ,I then remove from ground on a sunny day let onion dry out and then bag.

Thank you :thumbsup: Funnily enough ive had a visit today from an old mate , he brought me some tomato plants and he said more or less the same as you