Mystery object?

I'me not sure but I think my mum was the girl that makes the thing

that drills the hole that holds the ring

that drives the rod that turns the knob

that works the thing-ummy bob

Sorry couldn't resist that ;-)

Looks like a jig for some sort of processing machine to me, but as for what it actually held, I have no idea I'm afraid.

Is it possible this is an old fashioned fire safety device that was fitted to a door? It would either lock it or open it during a fire, it might be missing a glass cover if so. This glass cover could also be smashed to release the lock. Could be Im wrong but many years ago I seen something with a similar design on a really old fire escape.

Is it possible this is an old fashioned fire safety device that was fitted to a door? It would either lock it or open it during a fire, it might be missing a glass cover if so. This glass cover could also be smashed to release the lock. Could be I'm wrong but many years ago I seen something with a similar design on a really old fire escape.

The curled pipe, if it is a pipe, could have carried a gas or is an early type of sensor like the ones on fail-safe gas appliances.

It's partly obscured in the pic but the hidden end of the 'pipe' is I think is in contact with the 'L' lever, which would operate the plunger/latch. The spring would be the return spring for the L lever. Without examining it I can't tell whether the latch moves in/out or back/forwards, or both.

So, there might be some merit in thinking its some kind of 'fire', or heat operated lock.

Is it possible this is an old fashioned fire safety device that was fitted to a door? It would either lock it or open it during a fire, it might be missing a glass cover if so. This glass cover could also be smashed to release the lock. Could be Im wrong but many years ago I seen something with a similar design on a really old fire escape.

I think that's a pretty good guess.

I observe some sort of latch and lever device, with a window that is partially open. I note it is a heavy duty piece too - and it seems to have an electrical supply, or possibly a gas supply to it, to operate it. It reminds me a bit of the manual device fitted to an old Yorkshire range oven - which was a way of controlling the oven temperature - by opening a sliding latch in the door. This is way too big for that though. But it could be a similar principle, maybe something for controlling heat, or air-flow, to a much larger oven, or furnace. Or, as you suggest, a device for opening a door. The size and heavy construction of it suggests something like that.

Part of a sewing machine?

General consensus on the other site is its a part that fits onto another machine, possibly in the wool or cotton industry. Pictures have been sent to several museums and we're waiting for them to reply.

General consensus on the other site is its a part that fits onto another machine, possibly in the wool or cotton industry. Pictures have been sent to several museums and we're waiting for them to reply.

This is why I was trying to find "the other site" to see if there were any more meaningful photos.