Cameron unveils plans to reform Welfare system, so what is different?

I had to laugh when I read about this policy initiative announced today, the following is what he announced and the links show the Governments current policy in these areas.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

“There would also be training courses for those unemployed for more than six months - with benefits cut if they refused to take the offer up.

The idea is for private training firms to be employed to prepare the unemployed for work and also to assess all 2.6m people on incapacity benefit to see what work they might be able to do”

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/ibchange.htm

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/government_employment_schemes.htm

Sounds like another A4e to me... God help us.

Sounds like another A4e to me... God help us.

I thought that as well, I just can't see any difference between the two!

Cameron is a monumental hyocrite. He claimes 13 grand for his own mortgage and now bangs on about people getting 25 quid. There is only one 'scrounger' here and that is Mr Dave 'the rave' Cameron of Notting Hill London.

Cameron is a monumental hyocrite. He claimes 13 grand for his own mortgage and now bangs on about people getting 25 quid. There is only one 'scrounger' here and that is Mr Dave 'the rave' Cameron of Notting Hill London.

I'd rather give him 13k then £25 to each and every lazy scrounger who cant be bothered to get a job, at least he is working for it (although not very hard) and its within his entitlements to claim for it.

The only apparent difference is that the Tories want to go a little further, and more quickly, than Labour have so far planned to do.

In point of fact, all Incapacity Benefit claimants are already subjected to an independent medical test to verify their fitness, or otherwise, for work; both parties appear to be claiming they will "introduce" something that already exists. I said this when Labour brought out their 'new' policy, and I'm still saying it.

The only apparent difference is that the Tories want to go a little further, and more quickly, than Labour have so far planned to do.

In point of fact, all Incapacity Benefit claimants are already subjected to an independent medical test to verify their fitness, or otherwise, for work; both parties appear to be claiming they will "introduce" something that already exists. I said this when Labour brought out their 'new' policy, and I'm still saying it.

Wasn't it under the Tories that the no of people on incapacity benefit spirralled, as this was a convenient place to shunt them to keep them out of the unemployment stats?

Bested in one thread, off you go to make another ...:hihi:

Wasn't it under the Tories that the no of people on incapacity benefit spirralled, as this was a convenient place to shunt them to keep them out of the unemployment stats?

Thats the first sensible thing you have ever said,the tory party brought it in to fiddle the jobless figures back in the 80s.The truth is they are all the same liars and cheats and I wouldnt vote for any of the main parties.

odd how I know of someone who can work but chooses to be on incapacity benefit as he is better off (he had an accident at work). If the present system allows people to do this then it’s obviously in need to sorting out.

odd how I know of someone who can work but chooses to be on incapacity benefit as he is better off (he had an accident at work). If the present system allows people to do this then it’s obviously in need to sorting out.

I know of several, but that is not because there's no measure in place to check them; there is. Everyone has an independent medical assessment.

If it's possible to pass the medical assessment despite being fit to work, the problem must lie with incompetent doctors; but to claim you're going to bring in such checks, when they already exist, isn't solving anything.

According to the latest stats there are already 1.6 million unemployment benefit claimants and just 434,000 vacancies. Projections are that claimant count will continue to rise significantly in the current quarter although there may be also a slight rise in vacancies.

Cameron wants to get another 500,000 IB claimants onto the unemployed register plus heaven knows how many public sector workers he's planning to sack.

Can anyone at Conservative Central Office do sums ?