St Therese of Lisieux tour doesn't include Sheffield

St Therese of Lisieux will be touring the country from today at the express request of Cardinal Cormac McNugget (at least bits of her will) and she is not stopping off in Sheffield. I will have to go to Leeds or Nottingham to be near her. I wanted to take up Matthew Parris on his idea without having to travel.

The article makes no mention of just what she did in order to be canonized, apart from get religion, suffer, pray a lot and die. I thought Sainthood was only given to those who performed miracles.

The article makes no mention of just what she did in order to be canonized, apart from get religion, suffer, pray a lot and die. I thought Sainthood was only given to those who performed miracles.

Her mother died. Her sister took over and then became a nun. No wonder she wanted to follow. She met the poap to convince him to let her be a carmelite nun, she was so young. She needed some tlc and got a harsh life serving god instead.

Why? Are the "believers" hurting you?

Yes belief in the profoundly ridiculuous offends my desire that the Clergy might be able to one day move on from fairy tales and superstition.

Is it just her foot and thigh bone doing the rounds?

She believed that she should be ordained a priest, and laid down to die at 24 (the age priests were traditionally ordained) - She visited her convent after death with a scroll saying 'my way is sure' and many female priests cite this saint as proof that God's will was not observed in her case... Possibly why the article didn't mention why she is a saint, as it's from a RC website, and they still refuse female ordinands - the RC female ordinands go to the Anglo Catholic church :( I have a little icon of her in my house, and I seem to think that there is a statue of her at Walsingham?

Edited by Lady Star

St Therese of Lisieux will be touring the country from today at the express request of Cardinal Cormac McNugget (at least bits of her will) and she is not stopping off in Sheffield. I will have to go to Leeds or Nottingham to be near her. I wanted to take up Matthew Parris on his idea without having to travel.

I think that perhaps Matthew Parris is very unfamiliar with the idea of relics, seeing as he calls for Bishops to stop 'this pagan nonsense'... All cathedrals and most churches have relics within their walls, many are sealed inside the altar stone, or under the ground where the priest stands at Mass... There are many relics inside Sheffield Cathedral - the idea of pieces of bone taken from someone who led a very pure life hold a long standing place in Christian worship...

I think that perhaps Matthew Parris is very unfamiliar with the idea of relics, seeing as he calls for Bishops to stop 'this pagan nonsense'... All cathedrals and most churches have relics within their walls, many are sealed inside the altar stone, or under the ground where the priest stands at Mass... There are many relics inside Sheffield Cathedral - the idea of pieces of bone taken from someone who led a very pure life hold a long standing place in Christian worship...

Which Sheffield Cathedral, what relics and where?

I think that perhaps Matthew Parris is very unfamiliar with the idea of relics, seeing as he calls for Bishops to stop 'this pagan nonsense'...

Actually, that means he has it about right. Both the Ten Commandments, and Jesus himself, forbade the worship of idols, which is basically what these relics are.

My understanding is that the relics are coming to Sheffield, to one of the convents.

Actually, that means he has it about right. Both the Ten Commandments, and Jesus himself, forbade the worship of idols, which is basically what these relics are.

No, it means he has no knowledge of Catholicisim... Oh, and both Cathedrals have relics...