Changing a Surname by Deedpoll

HI All

My son has been using his fathers surname for quite a few years now after my second marriage his original surname was my maiden name from birth. Now he wants to do it legally and I am looking around at some of these websites and am confused.

Some do it for 34 quid others for free, is there any legal argument for going to a court or to a solicitor, a court isnt an option as he doesnt live in Sheffield anymore and he works like a maniac in London so wont ahve time to go to one. A solictor is going to cost a fortune !!

So legally, anyone got a clue ?

Yes I found all of those, Just want to know if it is still legal...There is a free one, I am guessing it would be the same as the ones that cost ??

Yes I found all of those, Just want to know if it is still legal...There is a free one, I am guessing it would be the same as the ones that cost ??
Sometimes things appear too good to be true.........they usually are.

For something so important I don't think I'd be opting for a freebie.

HI All

My son has been using his fathers surname for quite a few years now after my second marriage his original surname was my maiden name from birth. Now he wants to do it legally and I am looking around at some of these websites and am confused.

Some do it for 34 quid others for free, is there any legal argument for going to a court or to a solicitor, a court isnt an option as he doesnt live in Sheffield anymore and he works like a maniac in London so wont ahve time to go to one. A solictor is going to cost a fortune !!

So legally, anyone got a clue ?

Hi, one thing that might intrest you is that you need a legal deed poll document to prove name change when an application is made for a passport. This must be accompanied by the birth certificate with the original name on. This might also include driving licence applications etc.

I would if possible get quotes from a few solicitors as it may be cheaper than you think. The implications of a name change can be bigger than you think. However dont be put off its an easy process, most solicitors will just require some proof of previous name and then a signiture on the deed poll.

Edited by only_me

go to the CAB, they'll probably recommend a solicitor who can draw one up for less than £20 and be completely legal

Sounds fab guys thanks so much x

The implications of a name change can be bigger than you think.

What did you mean by this?

If a person changes their surname, not through marriage, and then gets married in, say, a year, and changes it again to a married name, could this have any negative consequences professionally and otherwise?

I am originally from another country and have a foreign surname, and have been considering changing it for a while, for various reasons. Not planning on getting married just yet but who knows? It could be sooner than I think:)

Thanks

You can change your name 100% legally for free. Dont pay for it. Dont use a solicitor. And if you ask CAB they will probably tell you to use a solicitor which is not true.A solicitor will just charge you an administrative fee for doing something thats free to do yourself.

You can print forms off the internet, you need a witness to sign it. You need to inform all authoritites and representatives eg. Bank etc. you wish to be called by the name on the form and present it to them.

Its totally legal to do this.

Its like a contract, you can use a solicitor to draw up a contract which they charge you for, however anything written down on paper and witnessed is legally binding.

Edited by TJC1
extra

I've just used the UK Deed Poll service to change my name and paid £37 (£4 extra to change my title).

I'd heard stories about the free ones being rejected by certain places so decided I'd rather pay a small fee than have the hassle of going back and forth, and I've just successfully changed my passport and my bank details with my certificate.

It was very quick and easy to do.

I'm 100% sure its legally free to do. But don't take my word for it, I'd advise you to do your own research and not listen to hearsay as it could cost you.