Labour to scrap PFI

Labour to scrap PFI and nationalise existing contracts, John McDonnell announces at party conference.

Are they barking mad?

I dont like PFI schemes, but scrapping existing contracts is barmy. I think John McDonnalds years as a Marxist is showing. They are going way to the left.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-pfi-private-finance-initiative-end-john-mcdonnell-nhs-hospitals-nationalise-in-house-party-a7965771.html

Labour to scrap PFI and nationalise existing contracts, John McDonnell announces at party conference.

Are they barking mad?

I dont like PFI schemes, but scrapping existing contracts is barmy. I think John McDonnalds years as a Marxist is showing. They are going way to the left.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-pfi-private-finance-initiative-end-john-mcdonnell-nhs-hospitals-nationalise-in-house-party-a7965771.html

I think it's great. PFI is too often far too one sided in favour of the private companies - time to take back control.

I think it's great. PFI is too often far too one sided in favour of the private companies - time to take back control.

I think a mix of public and private is good, not all of one or the other.

Will they bring in laws to 'steal' the contracts from private companies, or will they buy them out, either is negative.

It is, but what sort of cost is it going to be? I can't imagine any of the companies in long term profitable contracts offering them back to the government for peanuts or out of the goodness of their hearts?

well the shadow chancellor seems fond of karl marx so who knows

Edited by dangerousedd

Whats the cost of it all though??

It just seems that private companies will get a second bit of the Apple when the government buy them out of all these lucrative contracts.

PFI has been a bonanza for the private sector and a disaster for the public sector, saddling the state with billions in debt.

Once you sign up for a contract though I don't know how you can get out of it?

Are they barking mad?

And they intend to take back, Rail, Water, Energy and Royal Mail. Someone please tell me how much would this cost. I think McDonnell is madder than Vince Cable.

Angel1.

No, Labour can't- and won't unless (perish the thought) it ever gets its hands on government.

Are they barking mad?

Typical of Labour when not in government , promise the earth but no information about how they will pay for it

And they intend to take back, Rail, Water, Energy and Royal Mail. Someone please tell me how much would this cost. I think McDonnell is madder than Vince Cable.

Angel1.

If they change the law on compensation it needn't cost much at all.