Quad bikes – is the very term erroneous?

People talk about chavs on “QUAD BIKES” but that just is a scrambler on my brain. Surely a ‘BIKE’ is referring to 2 wheels (BI-CYCLE like BI-FOCAL or BI-SEXUAL or BI-ANNUAL ETC ETC). But ‘QUAD’ is referring to 4 wheels isn’t it? So a ‘QUAD BIKE’ is a four wheeled two wheeler? Do you see what I mean? I got Cs in English and Maths GCSE resits too so am not stupid by no means.

That's why they have 8 wheels, innit.

no thats qualudes ;)

Far preferable to quad bikes ime.

I thought they were just called Quads!

That would be exceptable to me but gone on Google and there is loads of sites talking about QUAD BIKES. It's like people don't fink before they wright something on the world wide webmaster these days. Standards have been slipping for a long while now.

Essentially the English language does not have an adequate term for these vehicles as a three wheeled cycle was called a tricycle and therefore a four wheeled cycle should be called either a Quadcycle or a Quadrocycle.

Unfortunately these terms could never trip off the tongue, due to the presence of the hard "D" sound in the middle and we are faced with the anomaly of a description of a two wheeled apparatus with four wheels.

Essentially the English language does not have an adequate term for these vehicles as a three wheeled cycle was called a tricycle and therefore a four wheeled cycle should be called either a Quadcycle or a Quadrocycle.

Unfortunately these terms could never trip off the tongue, due to the presence of the hard "D" sound in the middle and we are faced with the anomaly of a description of a two wheeled apparatus with four wheels.

Really good points here. I suppose by the time the men have got a decent name for them the quads will no longer even be a thing. Oh man. What’s gonna happen next? Quincycle sounds OK I suppose. Sexa-Machine for a 6 wheelers? It really does hurt my brains!

MOTORQUAKE ......definitely.

Dis is good man!

I thought before a consonant it should be quadri so that would make it quadricycle. Or we could just revert to the Greek and call them tetracycles. Personally I prefer **** mobiles.